Saturday, January 15, 2011

Pre (*shudder*) Cure

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 1/15/2011
As those of you in Japan (and my poor parents) know, most three- to five-year-old girls adore PreCure, and the Pinglet is no exception. We've spent the past year listening to stories day in and out about Cure Blossom, Cure Marine, Cure Sunshine, and Cure Moonlight and acting out whatever happens to pop into the Pinglet's head.

I am The.Expert. on all things PreCure. I'm also pretty knowledgeable, if I do say so myself, about earlier versions of PreCure, thanks to YouTube. Now all this expertise is going by the wayside. A new version of PreCure, Sweet PreCure, is coming out next month, striking fear into the heart of every parent. Crap. More characters (Cure Melody and Cure Rhythm among them) to remember.

Reading up on the storyline of the new series, I mentioned to Ping that the people who make up these programs must be drunk when they're doing it. Totally pissed and laughing themselves silly while they draw up the characters and storylines on beer-stained napkins, and rubbing their hands together gleefully thinking of all the cash they're going to rake in from the new series' line of toys.

I'm hoping that she'll grow out of this phase and move on to Barbies. It'll be fun to brush off the dust from Barbie and Ken and get them out partying again.

5 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

illahee said...

i wonder if writing for TV is like being a 'talento'. i mean, all the money goes to the company, not the writers. so, maybe they are drunk, or maybe they are trying to come up with the craziest ideas to see how far they can go...

Rachel said...

JUST finished watching it here, thanks to Daddy religiously taping it for them every Sunday. I had no idea Erica knew what a weekend was, but she woke up asking about Purikyua this morning! How'd she KNOW??

Yeah, I'm all for the drunken napkin theory. Kristin, let's devise some characters of our own in Kyoto...

Elizabeth said...

LOL! Obviously you didn't grow up watching Sailor Moon as a little girl. I'm guessing she'll never grow out of it and she'll be watching it well into her twenties for the nostalgia factor, haha.

There's just something about those Magical Girl series...

thefukases said...

Am I the only English Nazi who insists my kids call them (at least when they're speaking to me) bLossom and moonLight? I can already see me getting the TH sound drilled in trying to avoid Cure Rizumu taking over!

Andjust wait till Mini-ping gets bigger you'll be wishing for Precure- they are soooo much easier to keep track of than all the ranger incarnations!

kuri, ping & the pinglet said...

I definitely think they're just trying to come up with the most outlandish ideas, saying to themselves, "Surely the parents will stop here?" :)

Rachel, looking forward to seeing what you and Kristin come up with in Kyoto!

Elizabeth, I've never gotten the manga thing in Japan (or even the cartoon thing in the U.S.!) but I'm sure she'll be watching when she's bigger. I'll probably keep a few of the toys for her for when she gets older.

Heather, you're not the only Englis Nazi! Nao's good at differentiating between Japanese katakana English and regular English! Good luck with Cure Rhythm. :)

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review