Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Kindergarten blues

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 4/27/2010
The Pinglet has survived the first 2 1/2 weeks of kindy. I guess I should add that I've also survived. She LOVES it. As in, gets up at 6am wanting to get dressed and asking every 5 minutes when the bus is coming. As the bus doesn't get here until 8am, the morning can be quite vexing at times. I'm thrilled that she loves going to school so much though.

Trying to ask a 2-almost-3-year-old what she did in school is quite a complicated undertaking:

Me: Mommy MISSED you!

Pinglet (struggling to free herself from my grip): Again? (Said every time I say this to her)

Me: Did you have fun at school today?

Pinglet: Yes.

Me: What did you do?

Pinglet: Played, and played, and played, and played (Her every day answer)

Me: What did you play with?

Pinglet: Trains (Again, this is the same answer I get every day. Could she actually be playing with trains every day? Methinks not.)

This is followed by a brief moment of time in which I try to wrestle her out of her school clothes and into something more appropriate for whatever activity she has planned for the afternoon. At least it seems planned to me since she comes barreling through the front door, asking me to take out the playdo/paints/dolls/eat chocolate.

I've gotten used to her new schedule, which allows me to work during the daylight hours. It's hard to believe what I've been missing for the past 2 1/2 years. Sleeping at night? My body is having a tough time getting used to sleeping longer than 2-3 hours a night and I'm actually more tired than before. How can that be?

Kindy has also forced me to venture into uncharted waters, including preparing a bento pretty much every day. Originally, I was supposed to supply the Pinglet with a bento twice a week, but Monday and Friday are "bread lunch days," which the kindergarten has so helpfully "recommended" that I suppliment with other food so that my dearest child has a balanced lunch. Wednesday is the only day that there is actually a real lunch provided. I'm not a good cook. Actually, scratch that. I'm a TERRIBLE cook and subjecting the Pinglet to even more meals that I've made has made me feel bad enough to purchase a book on how to make Japanese kiddie lunches.

Combined with my low cooking level, I am also artistically-challenged. As in, there is NO WAY that I'll be able to recreate those cute little characters (and no, this is not my Flickr page), so the poor Pinglet has to suffer such creations as:



This is as good as it's going to get. I figure the Pinglet should get used to it early on. Low expectations and all that jazz.

In other news...

glitter graphics
Glitter Graphics, It's A Boy Glitter Graphics

We found out today at the 20-week appointment that the little bubs is a baby boy! Wow...unchartered waters. Should be an interesting ride!

15 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

illahee said...

oh wow, i don't even bother trying to make their lunches cute! hiro probably doesn't care but i wonder if one day sasha's going to come home and say she wants a teddy bear hambaagu lunch!

Gina said...

Boys are awesome, congratulations on bubs being a little boy! I think the Pinglet's going to be a wonderful big sister.

Jo Tomooka said...

I think you are doing a great job with the bentos! Now that both my children are at school I only have to make bentos very occassionally... this morning being one of them. My children are very good at praising my efforts - but I'm sure they sit enviously beside the children with wonderful character bentos....
Congratulations on your boy news - we have the same... older girl, younger boy. It works well for us!
Hope to see you again soon. Enjoy your "free" time.

Brenda said...

I too think that you are doing a fabulous job with the bento making! I dread the day I have to make a bento. So much in fact I am considering choosing a kindy based on their meal plan (note any lack of evidence I am kidding with smilies or whatnot).
And yeah for working during the day and sleeping at night! I hope your body adjusts soon. Although I will miss being able to chat with someone on FB at 4a.m., in the same time zone anyway.
And yeah for little boys!

kuri, ping & the pinglet said...

Thanks for your comments about my pathetic bentos! LOL

illahee, yes, sasha will eventually come home requesting a full Hello Kitty bento from you.

Gina, thanks for the congrats! I hope Nao is as enthusiastic. :)

Jo, DD is also pretty good as praising my efforts. She "gasps" in delight in the morning when I show the bento to her, although I'm sure that will be stopping soon. Tee-hee.

Brenda, I DID choose the kindy based on their bento days! Except I didn't read the fine print about the bread-bento days. Grrr...Will miss our 4AM chat sessions on FB though. :)

Gaijin Wife said...

Ooooh, boy bits. All fun and games and so much easier to change at nappy time!! Boys are great - obviously not too many is good, and ones that don't lie and go to pachinko even better. Hope you are feeling good and everything with Nao and kindy, and the bump is going well.

Lunches look great!

Japan Mama said...

Hi, hope you don't mind me jumping in. I found your blog through shinshu life, and was immediately drawn to "kindergarten blues", as I am having a bit of a kindergarten situation too. I also think your bentos are fab. I bet your little one loves them. Also congratulations on finding out the gender of your baby. I have a 3 year old daughter and a one year old son. It's nice :) Different, in lots of ways, but boy babies and girl babies are both lovely.

kuri, ping & the pinglet said...

GW, yes, I remember my friends who have boys being surprised that I actually wiped DD when changing a wet diaper. Looking forward to low maintenance! Will be on the lookout for any pachinko playing though.

Japan Mama, thanks for dropping by and for your encouraging words! :)

Lulu said...

A boy! A Boy! A BOY!

YAY!!!! One of each is nice- kind of what I am hoping for myself one day although in my dreams I always have two boys so who knows!

Sounds as if she likes kindy even if all she does is trains. HAHA!

utzuki said...

I remember when the only creative thing I had in my lunches was a note from mom. Wow, I'm impressed with your shapes.

And a boy! Congrats!

Sara said...

UUUUGGG Bentos - the bane of my existence. I am like Brenda and would honestly pay abit more, go a bit farther for a place that supplied a balanced lunch most weeks.

Congrats on a boy!!!! Thats going to be really fun!! I've noticed a lot of families have older girl, younger boy (including mine) and it seems to work well!!

kuri, ping & the pinglet said...

Lulu, thanks...it should be an interesting experience! Will have to look to all my sempai boy mamas for advice. :)

Utzuki, I don't even think I had a note in my lunchbox. LOL

Sara, Thanks so much!

Nakamuras on Saipan said...

Wow..I didn't realize kids start school so young in Japan! My grandkids started Kinder at age 4-5 (K4 and K5). I guess 2-3 year-old's would be nursery school...my husband was just saying that our nephew who is 3 just started school in Japan and I was sure he was wrong...but I guess not! Just wondering...is it mandatory to send them to school at such a young age in Japan?

kuri, ping & the pinglet said...

Hey Nakamuras! School isn't mandatory here until 1st grade elementary, but most people tend to send their kids to kindergarten between the ages of 3 and 4. The Pinglet's kindergarten has a special class for 2 year olds and she needed the additional stimulation, which is why we decided to put her in early. The 2YO class is not the norm.

I guess Japan combines pre-k and kindergarten, which is why it is so long (usually 3 years).

Nakamuras on Saipan said...

Hi! Thanks for the info- I learn something new every day! I asked Masaaki- but he didn't know! HA! I guess it's kind-of like preschool then...I am curious because I'm planning on teaching in Japan ...

thank you!

connieN

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review