Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Being foreign in your own country

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 3/30/2010
I've been feeling a bit guilty lately when it comes to making dinner. Unlike when I was pregnant with the Pinglet, I have had MAJOR cravings with this little one (blog nickname pending!). While burning the midnight oil doing translations, I've found myself eating pickles, chocolate cookies and drinking ice tea...hmmm...sounds good right now, actually.

I've tried to keep these food choices to myself, but have found that my cravings have spilled over into the daylight hours. I believe that this baby will have a somewhat Latino palate since all I've been eating (or thinking about eating) is Mexican food: chili, quesadillas, nachos, burritos, guacamole. Main ingredient? Cheese, of course.

My poor husband. He absolutely LOVES Japanese food. The blander, the better. Don't get me wrong. I like Japanese food too, but I *so* do not want to be eating boiled fish in soy sauce. Ugh. Just the thought has me wanting to race to the bathroom. So while I am the one in the kitchen cooking, or out shopping for stuff to make for dinner, he is going to have to deal with my "South of the Border" cravings. I still feel bad sometimes though. I figure he can always go down some ramen or hijiki, at the local restaurant though if he needs to make a trip back to his home country for some home-style cooking.

The Pinglet, however, is overjoyed when I break out the cheese, salsa, and sour cream. That's my girl!

4 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Rachel said...

I didn't like Japanese food much during my pregnancies. I often went back to mashed potato and eggs! Comfort food, childhood food.

Which makes you Mexican of course. Interesting.

Elizabeth said...

i've been terribly behind on reading blogs (and for some reason i didn't have you added to my google reader... fixing that right now!) but i just wanted to say congratulations on your pregnancy! i'm sure pinglet will be a great big sis!

utzuki said...

Well girly. If you still have cravings for Mexican when we visit, we can hook you up!

Gina said...

I love Mexican food too. Definitely sounds like good cravings you're having! ; )

PS, congratulations about your drivers license. That's a pretty big deal, so I had to say it. : )

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review