Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Updates, updates, updates

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 1/27/2010
I have no excuse why I haven't posted in, oh...a month, so let's just skip the part where I desperately make up completely unrealistic reasons why I haven't been in the mood to blog. OK? OK! Glad we're on the same page.


I am sitting in my quiet house, contemplating whether or not I wish to actually do some work tonight (probably not, but sometimes a little ice cream can work wonders with your energy levels). Since I last posted, we've taken another trans-Pacific trip to visit the 'rentals and family in New York. Twenty-four hours one-way with a 2 1/2-year-old. It's enough to give you the horrors. The flight there was an exercise in endurance. Who would have thought that a toddler would be able to go the entire flight sleeping only 1 1/2 hours and then not watching any TV or DVDs? If you're calculating along with me, that means that Ping and I had to entertain the Pinglet for 22 1/2 hours, keep her from throwing tantrums that would get us kicked off the plane, and make sure that she didn't decide to join another family during the trip.

I had an entire carry-on bag packed with arty-crafty stuff to keep her occupied. Thankfully, she still loves stickers, drawing, making puppets, and stringing together pasta necklaces, so the bag was very well-used by the time we got off the plane.


We had a great time in NY with everyone. This was the longest I had ever been home (3 weeks) and it was a perfect amount of time to get to see everyone, do my annual shopping, and just hang out. We also took a trip to Michigan to see my two sisters out there. It took the Pinglet about 5 days to get onto NY time, during which she was hell-on-wheels. The return trip went much better, with the Pinglet watching some TV and actually sleeping ON.THE.SEAT. for four hours. Was completely amazing, actually.

My brother saved the day by coming back to Japan with us on the plane. It was great to have him there just to take some of the constant chattering. "Mommy, was jis?" "Mommy, don't like." "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy..." Uncle Keeeeennnnnnnneeeeeehhhhhh, as he was referred to by the Pinglet, just left to go back to NY today and the Pinglet is bereft. However, I'm sure that Uncle Keeeennnnnneeeeehhhhhh is happy to see the end of the endless playdate. Poor guy.

I'll be posting pictures on Flickr so visit me over there so see all the fun we had! I hope to be posting a bit more this year...maybe that should be one of my New Year's resolutions that I inevitably break.

1 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Gaijin Wife said...

Pasta necklaces - so going to do that with Shou and Marina. Will shop for some fun colored pasta in Fuk. Sounds like you need a weekend pinglet-less... :)

See you tomorrow!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review