Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Oink, oink

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 11/11/2009
*sniff*

Ohhhhh, I have the WORST headache. The Pinglet came down with a horrible cold two weeks ago and passed it on to me last week. Now I know what she was moaning and complaining about. I'm actually on the tail-end of what I consider to be swine flu and laughing doctors have informed me is actually a cold but still feel like I'm in the grips of the pandemic. It doesn't help that my so-called "cold" has transformed into a sinus infection.

And now...migraines.

Just put me out of my misery.

According to Dr. Google, I should be drinking lots of fluids, which is near impossible because the minute I have something in my hands, it is confiscated by two small, grubby hands. And yes, those hands already have the same thing, but...the cup is different. I should also be inhaling the steam when I take a shower, but having to wrestle with an eight-armed octopus, also known as a toddler in the throes of the terrible twos, means that I tend to inhale handfulls of soap and shampoo instead.

I've found some great ibuprofen though, which is a step-up from having to take Bufferin. That's all my local pharmacy offered in the way of pain relievers. I almost bought out the shelf.

My busy work period has started, and grateful though I am for the income, I have realized that in putting together my schedule, I will be able to get a full night of sleep on April 4th. Hmmm...not a happy Kuri does this make.

Ah, but there is a silver lining! I had Ping line up as early as possible at the beginning of the month to put in the Pinglet's application for the 2-year-old class at the local kindy in April. Kindergarten in Japan is offered from 3-years-old, but there are some places that will accept kids that have not yet turned three. Six hours every day, with the option of extended hours until 6PM. The Pinglet's going to love it--even if she will be protesting with every fiber of her being for the first few months weeks. I've started preparing her already because talking about it makes me feel better about the possibility of actually being able to work during the daylight hours.

Sample Conversation 1
Kuri: Does the Pinglet want to go to school?

Pinglet: Annmanman, Baikinman bus! Pinglet go on da bus!

Kuri: Are you going to sing songs, color, and go on the slides?

Pinglet: Annmanman, Baikinman bus! Pinglet go on da bus!

Kuri: Yep! The Pinglet will go on the bus.

Pinglet: ...

Pinglet: Mommy go on da bus?

Kuri: The Pinglet's going to go on the bus with Kouki-kun and all your friends. Mommy's going to wave, "bye, bye!" and you're going to have fun!

Pinglet: ...

Pinglet: Mommy go on da bus?

Kuri (too tired to continue this convo line): OK, Mommy will go on the bus.

Pinglet: Mommy 'n Daddy, bye, bye to Pinglet? Pinglet go on da bus ah (with) Kouki.

Sometimes it's just too tiring to argue with a 2-year-old. I've heard that adults can never win an argument with a toddler because kids devote their entire brain to one particular thing--say, getting you to give them ice cream even though they didn't eat anything for dinner--and an adult can only give 1/1500th of their brain power to argue this fact (number is arbitrary so don't go doing any Google searches for my source). Other issues take precedence--such as "No, I can't drive and find your stuffed animal on the floor of the backseat of the car at the same time," "No, I can't hold you and cook dinner one-handed," and "Did I lock the door when I left the house?"--which renders the whole ice cream discussion moot.

And, yes, I've been known to give the Pinglet ice cream when I just run out of answers. She doesn't get the "Because I'm the Mommy" argument yet, although it will be the standard response in our household in the coming years.

Who knew that I would, in fact, become my mother? I'll have to pick her brain for more Mommy-isms.

8 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

illahee said...

oh man, sorry you're still feeling so awful. good to hear you found good medicine, though! today is such a crappy day, i'm thinking of going to aeon. *sigh* i'll call you later!

Rachel said...

You haven't mastered cooking one-handed yet?

I have some powerful foreign drugs shall I send you a packet? You alternate them with the ibuprofen, so you don't have too much of one drug but double the painkilling.

Lulu said...

Sorry to hear you are so sick. I think I had the same damn cold that ended up as a chest infection- hopefully you start feeling better soon. Migraines suck as well- I have immigram (a migraine medicine) that I haven`t had to use in ages. It is prescription that I bought from Australia but I think it is available here too if you asked your doctor about it. Knocks you right out and stops vomitting (if you vomit with migraines)

Pinglet is going to school next year? WOW! I am sure she will love it once she gets used to it. Just think how exhausted she will be after school too and how easy she will go to sleep at night. BONUS! I think it is good that you start talking to her about it now- kind of like working her up towards it.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh the joys of parenting a 2 year old.....takes lots of energy, doesn't it?
Love Mom

kuri, ping & the pinglet said...

illahee, hope we're still on for Friday and that the kids don't come down with something!

Rachel, thanks for the offer! I would LOVE if you have any to spare...I feel like I'm doing illicit drug dealing over the net. LOL BTW, will send you and illahee info about Thanksgiving on the 23rd, when I decide times, etc.

Lulu, thanks! How is your infection coming along? I don't normally get migraines and this is all tied to my sinus infection...horrible stuff. I can't believe that the Pinglet's going to school too...am very ready for it though. Never planned to be a SAHM (or WAHM) for this long.

Mom, have any energy to spare?!? :) You'll need it at Christmas!

Danielle said...

Is it possible that Nao and Nate are somehow related? I laughed out loud when you talked about not being able to drink because she wants YOUR CUP. We go through this too. Every. Day.

Also - Nate is OBSESSED with buses. Which he calls Beep. As in "The Horn on the bus goes beep beep beep." Recently on our return trip from Denver we caught the Hertz Car Rental bus from the Car return to the airport. It was a pretty quick ride and he cried for over an hour after we got off. "Beeeeeeeep! Beeeeeeeeeep!" he moaned relentless through check in, security, .......but THEN he was okay when we got on the TRAIN to get to our gate. Guess what happened when we got off the train?! "Chooooooooooooo. Chooooooooooo." :/

Bottom Line: I Hear you Dear Friend!

kuri, ping & the pinglet said...

Hey Dan! Of course they're related. They're going to be roomies at UR when they go to college! LOL about the bus and train obsession...enjoy! Tee-hee.

Mande's J-Life said...

I am just catching up here, so don't mind me being a little late on the comments.
This is funny, and I'll give you one more mommyism you can use, which definitely works on my daughter.
"If you ask me one more time, I am going to throw that toy in the garbage."
Or
"If you don't pick up your toys (or books), I am going to throw them in the garbage."
And, yes, my mom did use this threat on me countless of times! She especially used it in the context of cleaning my entire room, as in "if you don't clean up your room today, the next time you come home from school, you are going to find that your room is completely empty because I will have thrown everything in the garbage except for your bed and dresser." Worked every time.

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review