Thursday, October 22, 2009

And all is right in the world tonight

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 10/22/2009
DAAAAAAAAAAAAA YANKEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS WIN!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it's taken a baseball game, my most favorite of pastimes, to get myself out of lurkdom on my own blog. Is it even possible to be a lurker on your own blog? Discuss.

So, I really have no excuse for why I haven't blogged in, oh, over a month. I actually forgot that I had a blog, which is not cool. I know. I wish I had some excuse for being away, but alas, alack, no such luck.

So why crawl out of the woodwork now? Because it's almost Christmas, of course! I know it's still October, as we are all aware from the insane amounts of Halloween decorations in the stores in Japan, of all places, because as you all know from your Japanese studies, Halloween's been celebrated since Amaterasu shut herself up in that cave so very long ago (And my university professors thought I didn't pay any attention in school. Who knew that this knowledge would become important in my future pennings on Blogger?).

Yet I happened to see some Christmas trees and lights peeking out from behind those smugly smiling pumpkin faces. I thought there was a problem with my contact lenses, because surely this was the earliest I had ever seen Christmas things out, but no. A quick look around my neighborhood the other day while the Pinglet and I went "trick or treating" (consisting of us walking down the street: her in her ladybug costume and me in some devil's ears) confirmed this fact, as there are quite a few houses with Christmas wreaths on their doors.

I actually can't wait to get my own Christmas decorations out. The outdoor mall in the city center here has a mammoth, live Christmas tree up and decorated, and the Pinglet was entranced. Christmas is my favorite-est holiday (and yes, I know that's not a real word, but it just feels right) and I am more than happy to start celebrating it as soon as the 4th of July is over.

I do have to get through Thanksgiving first. I've gotten things down to an artform though. My own family in NY rotates houses each year for the big feast. Unfortunately, I can't very well order kindly request my Japanese friends to host the event, since most of them still don't know exactly why the U.S. has this holiday. So, I am left to host the big bash each year and keep the tradition alive.

One problem...I don't cook. I mean, I used to not cook at all, which I'm sure boggles the mind, but before the Pinglet arrived on the scene, you would be more likely to find Ping and I out enjoying the latest in the restaurant scene (as it were) in our little corner of the world. It would be great had we been able to continue that particular tradition, but unless I want to be barred from every eating establishment in the city as a result of the Pinglet's relentless tantrums, I thought it wise to start learning how to stir-fry some veggies.

So, Thanksgiving is not exactly my idea of a fun time, considering that I have to spend hours in the kitchen. That is, hours for me because I still have to read the fine print on recipes; minutes for other people who are familiar with what a frying pan is supposed to be used for. I have cut down a record time of 48 hours in the kitchen (with 3 hours of sleep) to a modest 6 hours in total. I do still, however, burn the gravy and inevitably have to throw out the pot, so I'll have to work on that this year.

It's unfortunate that there's no Thanksgiving Day parade or football game to distract my guests from the fact that their chicken (because the only store to sell turkeys small enough to fit into my oven/microwave/toaster/defroster went out of business years ago) is dry, the stuffing is from a box, and--let us not forget--the gravy is burnt.

so, illahee, still planning on coming? :)

7 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

illahee said...

well, unless i manage to mess it all up, i'm bringing pumpkin pie so...

;) it's not the food that matters, it's the company. the kids can play dress up and everyone will enjoy that!

Rachel said...

A glass of wine always helps the cooking process. Maybe not the end result, but it's more fun! I'm happy to be pottering in kitchen on holidays now. Beats sitting around noticing that everyone else is NOT celebrating this holiday!

Anonymous said...

foodstuffs are on the way!Love Mom

Lulu said...

Um you know it is November right? You said "I know it is only October but..." hehe...I think you missed a few days! But yes, Christmas is indeed around the corner. And, Thanksgiving for the Americans.

I love the holiday season!

Jo Tomooka said...

Good to see you back. By the time I get to the gravy stage I am always too tired to do it properly, so usually resort to the packet ones. Fast, easy, tasty and no dirty pots!

Criminal Background Check said...

I am loudly with my roommates at home, but one “side” of me is more appropriate in a given situation than another.That need to more polish and hard.

Contact Lenses said...

Contact Lenses - Coloured Contact Lenses from UK

Contact Lenses

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review