Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Next Iron Chef

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 7/14/2009
When the Pinglet walks into one of those cute kiddie kitchens where there are pretend stoves, sinks, fruits and vegetables, I feel a brief twinge of fear. I watch other children, both boys and girls, happily bustle around the kitchen making whatever concoction happens to strike their fancy at the moment, and can see exactly how it must be at their houses at dinnertime. Mom in the kitchen (because it's still 1956 in Japan, just kidding!), fiddling around with the burners on the stove, hurrying to prepare dinner for her and the kids before the main breadwinner gets home from the office.

I remember the first time that the Pinglet got the concept of the play kitchen. I saw her wander over to one where other little girls were busily playing, slicing and dicing, frying and sauteeing. Did she jump right in and show off her Iron Chef skills to all present? Did she try to rip a cooking implement out of the hands of a less competent child? Not exactly. Her reaction upon seeing the play kitchen for the first time is similar to my own when I come home and try to figure out what to make. She stared blankly at all the activity around her, trying to figure out what exactly it was they were doing.

I thought I was busted, but for some reason, people think I am a wonder-chef. I'm not sure where they've gotten that idea from considering that I take pains to clearly emphasize that I can't cook. To be perfectly frank, if you've decided to let me know about a recipe that you're using tonight, my eyes have already started to glaze over by the time you've reached, "...and cut the garlic in tiny, tiny, tiny, little pieces..."

So, still not having been busted, I let my guard down when I discovered that the local children's center also has one of those big kitchens where the kids can play. I guess I should be happy that the Pinglet has progressed from looking around blankly to what she does now, which is to either throw every single piece of food, plus utensils and dishes, into the microwave and press the start button, or (my personal favorite) just sit down at the table waiting for people to serve her like she's at a restaurant waiting on her meal.

She'll probably end up as one of the world's most famous chefs. And, I'll be sure that everyone knows that Mommy taught her everything she knows.

3 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

illahee said...

i love that she sits at the table, waiting for food! lol

Lulu said...

I had to laugh when you said she sticks either everything in the microwave (totally the way to go!) or sits at the table waiting to be fed. Classic!

Anonymous said...

I laughed so much when I read this....love the part about sitting down & waiting for the food....smart girl!
Love Mom

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review