Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Potty Mouth

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 5/26/2009
Ohhh, I am so in for it. For the past few days, the Pinglet has been a virtual parrot, repeating whatever she hears, although I'm pretty sure she doesn't understand most of what she's saying.

I love watching her verbal skills grow. She'll sit down and have an actual "conversation" with you, although most of it's gibberish to the untrained ear. Ping and I, however, can identify certain words within her non-stop monologue and by repeating what we think she's saying, can continue talking with her for up to 30 minutes or more.

Since the arrival of the Pinglet, I've tried very hard not to use bad language in the house. When I was working at Dante's Inferno my previous job, however, there were no such restrictions and my co-workers got free English lessons each day...although they probably couldn't repeat what they learned anywhere.

I've been very good, but I do have a habit of saying, Daaaammmmnnnn! (said very drawn out, in awe of what you just heard), when I hear something that just strikes me as wrong, totally insane or when no other explicitive will suffice.

Normally, after I make this comment, the conversation just continues along. However, the Pinglet, with her current penchant for repeating everything we're saying, looks up from her dinner with such an innocent expression on her face and says, "Dammmmmm, Mommy, Dammmmm."

This pales in comparison to a shirt that I saw a mother of a one-year-old wearing at one of the city centers the other day. T-shirts with nonsensical English words are a dime a dozen in Japan. Most are spelling or grammatical mistakes (spring has came, bidets (Don't drink anything when you read this particular stellar example), pay tv, feedings at the zoo, hotel service, and examples of the totally incomprehensible)

This mother, however, was sporting a black t-shirt with the words f**k, c**t, and s**t on it and talking to me about which kindergarten she wanted to put her daughter in. I figure Pinglet's new word-of-the-day is a drop in the bucket.

3 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Girl Japan said...

Oh goodness, I have a BIG potty mouth, thank goodness dogs can not understand... seriously.

When I am home or can be free .. (not in mixed company) talking with friends-- I let it RIP!

Anonymous said...

And it begins :-)
Love Mom

coarse gold girl said...

I have given up and simply pray nightly that when next they meet my folks my children will instinctively feel a fear and dread that I felt as a child in my parents' presense and thus, be magically "silenced." Unfortunately, my folks are nicer to their grandkids than they were to their own offspring, so my two will probably respond to "how was the flight" with "it was f**ing fabulous but couldn't stand that sh*t they called food." etc. etc.

As for the examples of engrish. ouch. that last "totally incomprehensible" one reminded me of some of the sentences I am finding in my freshman student's essays. sigh. and you think all that nonsensical English isn't damaging? They've absorbed it I tell you! And they claim it has MEANING.

Laura

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review