Thursday, February 12, 2009

You can dance! You can jiiiiiiiiivvvveee!

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 2/12/2009
Ever had a chance to entertain a Japanese audience with your renditions of ABBA while watching Mamma Mia with some good friends and sipping sparkling wine from a can? 

Never mind the fact that I have the DVD and have probably seen it about 100 times since January (thanks to the Pinglet).

Two friends and I went out to lunch and a movie on whatever holiday it happens to be in Japan today (I don't bother trying to remember because Japan celebrates things like "Ocean Day" and the first day of spring.) One of my friends has been dying to see the film so we decided to meet up and make a day of it. We discovered that our third friend didn't know that Mamma Mia was a musical, which stunned both D and I into silence because, seriously, I didn't know that anyone could NOT know what Mamma Mia was about.

And, she hates musicals.

We decided that the best thing to do would be for her to watch the show while a bit vision/hearing impaired, and so we dropped by the local store to pick up some beverages. Searching the aisles, we found sparkling wine (white and rose) being sold by the can (a sacrilege! But we couldn't figure out how to pop the corks in the regular bottles quietly in the movie theater, so cans it was.)

We spent the entire movie (well, at least 2 of us did), singing and seat-dancing along to the soundtrack of the movie. My job during the movie, as the self-appointed Mamma Mia expert, was to warn R when a song was coming up so she could prepare herself. As the lights came up after we finished our last notes to Waterloo, I turned around to put my coat on, and came face-to-face with an older woman who was smiling at me and clapping her hands, obviously in appreciation of my singing prowess. Obviously.

Hmmm, now that I think of it, maybe she mistook us for Donna and the Dynamos, albeit without the horrendous costumes, and was waiting for an encore. Ah well, High School Musical 3 is coming out soon. I pretty much have the vocals covered, thanks to the Pinglet and her never-ending desire to listen to the entire CD of songs from the show, but I am definitely lacking in the dance department. The Pinglet is from the free-form-dance-is-good school of thought. Maybe she'll deign to give me some lessons if I ask nicely enough? Topped off, of course, with a trip to the park on her tricycle to sweeten the deal.

8 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you were quite entertaining at the movies.....giving Donna & the Dynamos a little competition, were you now? Love Mom

Sara said...

Sounds like fun!!! Its a great "girl friends" movie!!
Just reading your post got "Dancing Queen" strumming back up in my head... ;P

thefukases said...

What a fun way to spend the day! My girls think my dancing rocks too but I'm afraid that's as big an audience as I'm ever going to get!

One of my senior's students went to see Mamma Mia because she heard that Empress Michiko saw it. She enjoyed it but was disappointed as she thought it would be a 'very intelligent movie' because the Empress saw it!

Helen said...

I'm glad someone else had a blast at it. I just saw it last night and I was definitely seat dancing too! My hubby was with me and he enjoyed it too.

It was supremely silly, but tons of fun!

Nay said...

I watched it last weekend and I too spent the whole time seat dancing!! Although my singing is so terrible that I had to make sure I was only singing along in my head and not out aloud where somebody could here! LOL!

Blogexpat said...

Hi,
Only a few words to alert about the new blog directory for people living abroad, travelers and expatriates: BlogExpat:
http://www.blogexpat.com
This free blog service has become a directory of expat blogs, open to any blog of people living abroad. This is an exciting new feature and you can immediately add your expat/travel blog in the BlogExpat directory and help us grow the community:
http://www.blogexpat.com/en/register.htm
You will get a personal page for the profile of your blog with its latest posts and will be able to reach easily expat, travelleurs, targeted visitors and neighbours who can find you thanks to our Google Maps.
We hope to see you soon on www.blogexpat.com.

PS: you can also add our logo with the appropriate colours to your blog here:
http://www.blogexpat.com/en/links.htm

Girl Japan said...

Sounds like you had a slamming time! Nothing beats good friends, and a good day or night out, and of course ABBA!

I just ordered the DVD so I can't wait to see it!!!!

Mande's J-Life said...

Too bad you missed the Convention. Many people mentioned how they missed you and wished you could attend...you are so popular. Anyway, you also missed the Abba performance by the Convention Committee. For preparation, we had to watch the movie. I was not as impressed as you were, obviously, esp by Pierce's lovely songbird voice, but it was fun to perform a dance to the songs. I missed you though!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review