Friday, February 27, 2009

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful day in the neighborhood...

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 2/27/2009
....would you be my, would you be...my neighbor?

Remember Mr. Rodgers? That was one weird show, wasn't it?

Remember when I first moved to our new place and I decided I was going on a mission to meet everyone in the neighborhood? I seem to have achieved this goal, according to one of the women I met the other day, who said (and I quote), "I don't think that there's anyone who lives here who doesn't know who you are."

Hmmmm, good or bad? I figure that most people would know who I was anyway considering that I'm the only non-Japanese person in a 1-billion mile radius (well, sometimes it feels that way).

There are a few streets that are now off-limits. Due to the antics of the Pinglet, of course, who thinks that other people's yards and toys are just an extension of her own yard. She thinks nothing of barging in like she owns the place and playing with whatever toys she finds lying about. After trying to rationalize with a 19-month old (yeah, right), I find myself carrying her away in a football hold, while she screams her displeasure at the tops of her lungs. Which always brings the family who lives in the house out to see what the commotion is about and leaves me having to apologize for the trespasser. I'll be playing the role of Pinglet's lackey until she can speak and apologize herself, which unfortunately seems VERY far away because whatever she's saying right now sounds similar to a record being played backwards.*

I think this is why people know me. Someone commented the other day on how well-behaved the Pinglet was, compared to a few months ago when she used to scream her way back to the house. Fun times.

I met another neighbor lady the other day as I walked down the one final road that wasn't off-limits yet. She must have taken leave of her senses when she invited the Pinglet (who was STRAINING at the buckles on her stroller) in to play. An hour and a half later, I took my leave of the shell-shocked woman, who had--literally--just gotten out of her car and was going into the house to put her packages away before being waylaid.

We found out that I know her husband through friends. We were watching the Pinglet race Y's daughter around the house and she commented on how fast she was (something I know since I actually have to run to catch her when she tries to bolt). I said that maybe she'll play soccer in the future and told her that I played for 20 years and 5 years in Japan. Well, she and her husband know the guy who put the team together and used to go to his bar. And she lives around the block from me, even though I can't see her anymore because now her yard is off-limits because the Pinglet has found a new territory to invade.

My next task is to get ready for Easter. I'm planning to host an Easter party, with all the works, and invite some people from the neighborhood. Although how do you explain the reasoning behind a rabbit that colors eggs, hides them and delivers chocolate and jelly beans?

*OK, she's started to say words (baby, river, bird, Erica (Rachel's daughter), OK, bike, book, Bapu (her grandpa)), but the rest of the time, she babbles away oblivious to the fact that no one can actually understand her. Pictures and videos coming soon as I now have my crashed computer back!

7 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

thefukases said...

ha ha,

We moved when M was two and I remember breathing a sigh of relief at leaving behind a neighbourhood full of no-go zones for exactly the same reason. Of course we soon made new ones in our new neighbourhood!

I had an Easter party with the neighbours last year. Be prepared for lots of 'you put the food on the ground and then make the children look for it????' comments. :)

Sara said...

Good luck with the Easter party! Sounds like fun! I used to love getting Easter baskets!

The Pinglet is so spirited, I love it. At least you don't have to worry about her taking u-kno-what from the other kids at school!

Must be so exciting to hear her babble/speak!

Anonymous said...

that's my girl....running through life so she can enjoy it all!
Love Mom

Rachel said...

Aw, I'm so flattered she remembered her name! And it's not an easy one to say! We're looking forward to playing with you guys again.

Lulu said...

Wow- so exciting that the pinglet is starting to speak more. Can`t wait for the videos!

Love the no go zones- kind of funny really (although not for you perhaps!) and hey, kids need to learn to share so she is just teaching the others early on! lol!

Easter party sounds fun- what are the plans??

Girl Japan said...

I can't wait to hear about your Easter preparations!

Knitting Nurd said...

I just found your blog today and love it...too funny being able to relive those years through someone else now! My youngest daughter who is now 32...yeah, I used to find her hiding in people's closets we would go to visit. She had a shoe fetish. lol Embarrassing at the time when she would come walking out of their room with THEIR shoes on that were miles too big for her! You have to wonder what goes through those little minds! :=)

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review