Thursday, January 22, 2009

History in the making

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 1/22/2009
Isn't it fantastic to be a part of history? Not your mundane, run-of-the-mill history, but a real, live shake-up of the status quo? 

I had tears in my eyes on the eve of January 21st (which, just happens to coincide with my mom's 60th birthday! Happy birthday, Mom!) when I watched Barack Obama being sworn in (not once, but twice) as the first African-American President of the United States. The Pinglet must have sensed the historic nature of the moment, and attempted to stay up until 11PM to watch her first presidential inauguration with me. I admired her for her staying power, but sleep finally won and she made her way, kicking and screaming to bed.

I enjoyed watching all the hoopla of a presidential inauguration that was seen around the world. People have very high hopes for him to clean up the mess of the past 8 or so years and hopefully he will be able to do so quickly and easily. Or at least get a start on things. I haven't felt so much hope and excitement for so long about the government of the United States and it's wonderful to feel this way again.

It feels like a fresh, new breeze is moving through the White House and the halls of government. I think it's exemplified perfectly in Obama's two girls, who I enjoyed watching during the inauguration. Kids are the ones who keep us honest with their candid observations, such as the one by Obama's oldest daughter who commented to her father that as the first African-American president, he better do a good job. And the youngest daughter who, when her father told her that he was going to be on all the channels during the presidential race, was relieved to hear that he wasn't going to be on the Disney channel. Out of the mouth of babes.

However, my feelings of goodwill were tempered quickly on Wednesday night, as my computer decided that it would take this opportunity to crash on me. I've never had a computer crash before. I've lost programs and files, but never in my life have I had a computer just totally STOP.WORKING. A crashed computer is an annoyance at any time, but it was particularly horrifying to me when, at 2AM, I was unable to turn the computer back on and access files I had for a translation job that's due...um...TODAY. I've spent the morning at the computer help desk where I bought the laptop and they were able to salvage those files so I've been saved for the moment. I had to pull an all-nighter last night but realized it was time to go to bed when I found out that I had been typing while I was asleep and what I wrote didn't make any sense. Remember people out in internet-land, BACK UP YOUR FILES.

And President Obama, I hope your computer continues to work fine, as you get started undoing some of the damage of the past few years. You have an international, global family in Japan rooting you on.

3 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Rachel said...

Erica must have know what was going on too, she woke up about every ten minutes during the important bit!

I'm feeling hopeful too, though my inner cynic is trying to hold back on being too optimistic. But I LOVE how international his family is.

You must be so relieved about that file. My internet went off on Thursday but I had just backed up my work. Still, getting to a computer with internet was still going to be a hassle. Luckily I got it back on before I had to trudge round to the in-laws' and put up with their fussing.

missbehaving said...

If you look at what he did in his first 100 hours, I think he will get the job done.

Anonymous said...

Well written! And not only do I hope, but I really believe that we will see good changes! Love Mom

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review