Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Happy New Year!

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 1/07/2009
Why do people in Japan always say "a happy new year"? It's something that's always puzzled me.

We had a perfect trip to New York for Christmas and New Years, including a major snowstorm that kept me from going clothes shopping and replacing my threadbare duds. The Pinglet never adjusted to New York time so we haven't had too many problems getting her back to Japan time. Nice for us, but I'm sure my family in New York is grateful for the day that we stepped back in the plane for the return trip so they could get some sleep.

I was dreading the flight to and from Japan because--as you all know--we are blessed with a child that does not require the normal 4o-winks. What do you do to occupy a sleepless toddler on a 13-hour flight? You might be thinking that I at least had Ping around to help out and take over when I had enough of watching High School Musical for the 50th time*. But you didn't count on Ping coming down with a 40 degree Celsius fever 30 minutes into the return flight, did you? and leaving me to watch the Pinglet on my own? Since she only slept for 2 hours, that left me with 11 hours to entertain her. The Pinglet was no match for my bag of tricks which contained crayons, coloring books, books, DVDs, etch-a-sketch, and cards. I was a virtual Santa Claus, whipping out 100 yen toys when there was even a hint of whining coming from the peanut gallery.

Happy 2009 to you all! I have a feeling it's going to be a great year, despite the Kuri, Ping and Pinglet family starting it off with stomach viruses, colds and jet lag. Surely it can't last all year, right?

*The Pinglet is a music junkie. She dances all the time, and HSM3 has replaced Hairspray as her favorite soundtrack. 

3 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Lulu said...

Happy New Year to you & your family!

Sounds like a bit of an eventful trip!!! Glad Pinglet liked her cousins, the pictures in the above post are so cute!

I have not seen highschool musical- but I think I want too as it seems to be a very popular choice amongst the kids!! What about Grease? Does she like that soundtrack? It was a fav of mine as a kid.

gaijin wife said...

Any tricks from your bad of goodies that were a huge hit and entertainted for more than ten minutes?? which seemed to be my limit with Shou and Marina. Hub will be in serious trouble if he gets sick for the plane ride home. Maybe I should forcefeed him drugs from the time he gets here just to make sure he doesn't!!

She looks like she is having a great time with her cousins :) Big bummer about the not being able to do some shopping. Sometimes I think visiting family takes a back seat to the shopping that NEEDS to be done everytime I come home!

Hope we get to see you again soon and best wishes to you, ping and the adorable pinglett for a wonderful year.

jan in nagasaki said...

hi. i think the "a happy new year" comes directly from christmas greetings... as in.. Merry Christmas and a happy new year...

it is so annoying!!!!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review