Thursday, November 20, 2008

Dolly the Sheep

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 11/20/2008
I think I may have a clone.

The other day, I took the Pinglet to get her first flu shot. She was, of course, absolutely horrible, which I know is just retribution for my days at the peditrician, when I would be backed up against the wall refusing to open my mouth to have my throat checked.

I always wondered about the grim expression on my mom's face. Certainly, it was more torture for us that it was for her, is what I probably thought at the time. Well, now I know what it's like to be on the other side of the coin. The Pinglet HATES doctors, maybe even more than I did (still do actually). She cries even before they do anything to her. All they have to do is say hello and the tears start flowing.

I have no patience for this.

After having her scream her head off (ever see the movie "Emily Rose"?) when I took her to the doctor for the shot, it was my turn to face the music.

And here is my darkest secret: I am deathly afraid of shots.

But I had to set a good example for the Pinglet, didn't I? I turned to her and said in a sing-song voice, "Now, watch Mommy. See? It doesn't hurt. Mommy's not going to cry. See the smile on Mommy's face? Mommy's happy that she won't get sick this winter." (And, yes, this is exactly what I said. Obviously the stress got to me.)

I almost fainted when I saw the needle. It took all my power of concentration not to cry or jump up from my seat, making a dash for the door. But I did it! My own Mommy would be so proud.

Thank the goddess I only have to get the flu shot once this season. The Pinglet, on the other hand, is scheduled for her next flu shot and chicken pox and mumps vaccinations. It's going to be a looooooooong winter.

2 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Sherry said...

I feel for you. Good luck with the second dose.

My DD wasn't/isn't too bad about it. Just a little bit of quivering of the lip and tears filling the eyes.

DS has to have the entire room hold him down just so the doctor can check his throat. Shots are fun, fun, fun!

kuri & ping said...

Sherry, you're right. We should get your DS and the Pinglet together. They would probably be in shock watching how horrible the other one was. :)

BTW, I had to be held down at the doctor's too (when I was younger...well, probably til I was about 18 or so ;) He'll grow out of it. I only get little twitches when I go to the doctors now. LOL

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review