Sunday, November 9, 2008

The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 11/09/2008
I was thrilled (and even that would be an understatement) that Obama will be in the White House for the next four years. Even though I live overseas, I follow politics in the U.S.--probably more than I do in Japan--and religiously send in my absentee ballot for every election that I'm eligible to vote in.

It's hard to describe how I'm feeling right now about Obama's victory, but it probably can best be described as: "HOPE".

And how cool is this??

Obama carried lots of states that have traditionally been won by Republicans, including Florida. With the fiasco in the last election in that state (does "hanging chads" put anyone else's teeth on edge?), Ping declared that the Pinglet would never be allowed to go to Disneyworld because it's located in Florida. However, he has since relaxed that "rule" now that Florida has redeemed itself in 2008.

However, the Pinglet will never be allowed to go anywhere if she behaves like she did today. I met up with a few other foreign wives and some of their kids for a small lunch. I left the house with a very happy Pinglet, whose mood deteriorated the minute, of course, we arrived at the restaurant. She cried when I brought her through the front door. She cried when I brought her to the table. She cried throughout the lunch, which made one of my friends take her out so I could gulp down a few bites of my cold lunch. 

You're probably thinking that there was something wrong. Not.A.Thing. With my practiced sleuthing, I deduced that there was something in the restaurant that she didn't like (I'm like a modern-day Sherlock Holmes). It could have been the front door (the owner thought this might be the problem and had us come through the back door, which miraculously kept her from crying), or possibly the gathering of so many people who weren't Asian in appearance and were loud as us foreign wives normally get when we're in the presence of so many English speakers.

Ping's take on it all? Maybe she sensed something when she went in the restaurant. I think I'll file that away with his reasoning that she doesn't sleep at night because she might see ghosts in her room. I feel like I'm an extra in "Sixth Sense."

3 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Lulu said...

One day, in a couple of years time, when the pinglet can use words to express herself you can take her back there and ask her "what the hell don`t you like?"

I think "hope" sums up the recent election quite well- I think there are a lot of people out there now that have "hope" that might not have had much before...

It is definitely for the best, and I for one, am happy to see America made this decision!

Sherry said...

I hope our kids never meet because my son is the slightly older male version of your daughter. Can you imagine what it would be like if they grow up, fall in love, get married, and have children?

Oh, wait, you know... having kids just like them...the mother's curse. Shall we try to hook them up? LOL!

kuri & ping said...

Lulu, True! I should ask her. She'll probably say that she just wanted to make sure I was with her the entire time. LOL

Sherry, that would be pretty funny! It would be like retribution. :)

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review