Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Gathering at the Well

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 10/18/2008
The Pinglet had her first taste of Europe this past weekend. We went to visit Huis Ten Bosch in Nagasaki (photos coming soon), which is where Ping and I went a few times a year, in our pre-Pinglet days. It was fantastic, and just to annoy me, the Pinglet slept through the night both nights at the hotel--in a crib no less--and I had my first unbroken night of sleep in a year and a half.

Of course, since we've gotten back, she's reverted to her old ways again, but I KNOW that she really does have that full-night of sleep in her little body somewhere. I just have to push the right buttons again (although she hasn't yet woken up since going down 5 hours ago). We'll see.

But, my story today is a happy one, albeit not about sleeping.

The Pinglet has been acting up recently (surprise, surprise) so Ping and I decided to take her out to let off some oh why, oh why does she need to throw herself on the ground, screaming and crying, when all I'm trying to do is get her shoes on so we can go outside energy. Of course, not being saavy kid's-place people, we ended up getting to the park late and instead of getting the Pinglet all played out so she would sleep through the night (a recurring theme), we only had 15 minutes for her to play before we were kicked out of the parking lot.

So, back home we go, where one of my neighbor-across-the-street's daughters, who dotes on the Pinglet and vice versa, was outside playing. Once the Pinglet caught sight of her with a hula-hoop and jump rope, she tried to LAUNCH herself out of my arms to get down and get down to the serious business of playing.

Ping decided to use the time to do some yard work, so I was left to field questions from the neighborhood kids, who by this time, had amassed into a small army, like, "Why do you speak English?", "What is Anpanman in English?", and the random word in English being flung at me by elementary school kids showing off what they know.

At some point, the adults started coming out of their houses. All my neighbors, who I happen to like quite a bit, got together in a little group right next to my house and we ended up chatting away for over an hour about this and that, while trying to keep the various kids from falling/crying/getting hit by passing cars/fighting.

I've decided to whip my neighborhood into shape. I already have a coffee date lined up and people dropping by unannounced for a quick chat. I have my Halloween preparations ready and will have kids dressing up next year, going trick-or-treating from house to house (This year, I'm going to play it low-key and just have the Pinglet dress up and have some Halloween games and candy.) I can see the neighborhood kids passing by the house, checking out the Halloween decorations, so it's only a matter of time. Mwah, ha, ha, ha...

I can't wait for Christmas...there's going to be lots and lots of lights, decorations and presents. My work here is done.

5 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

tamakikat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tamakikat said...

Sounds like you're having fun.

Huis Ten Bosch must be good that Pinglet slept through. Great that you did too.

TK

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a great neighborhood. That's wonderful!
Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Chrissy, I think your neighbors will not know what hit them. Good luck with Halloween-- it should be quite fun!! Love,Karen

gaijin wife said...

Might need a trip to Nagasaki if thats the key to a whole night sleep. Don't think Marina is quite as wakeful as the pinglet but still, eight hours sleep for mummy - in a row - would be very nice. Especially before the arrival of the bun - sigh. Another few years of sleepless nights yet.

Happy Halloween! A pic of ping dressed up...

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review