Thursday, October 23, 2008

Encounters

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 10/23/2008
I'm not sure how to describe the day that I had today.

The Pinglet and I were out from 9AM to 5PM, going non-stop, with a quick nap in between while Mommy shopped around town**. We went to a children's play place at the local mall, which for some reason known only to the powers that be, is free every Wednesday. Packed chock-full of kids and mommies, with the occasional daddy watching over their charges.

I was supposed to meet friends there throughout the day, so in the end, the Pinglet ended up playing at this place for 3 hours in total, with breaks in between. Every time we went back into the play place after a snack, lunch or nap, she was running around like she had never been there before in her life. She particularly loved a net-covered area that had balloons that were blowing around in them. Of course she liked that room, because I had to crouch down to get in there, and spent the better part of the day hunched over. I'm totally exhausted.

From start to finish, my day was filled with encounters. I met a woman from China who is married to a Japanese guy; we talked about bilingualism and how we're teaching our kids. I met two Japanese women who lived in the U.S. for extended periods of time (one for work, and one who lived there when she was in elementary school), who both speak perfect English. I met a woman from the Ukraine who lives near me, who is also married to a Japanese man and has two kids. And on my way home, my taxi driver told me about his wife who's Korean and how they've gone through the past years in their international relationship.

It's been quite an eye-opening day for me. And for the Pinglet (literally), who has since woken up 4 times since going to bed 3 hours ago. Gonna be a loooooonnnnnggggg night.

** I decided to have her take a nap outside. Mommy learned her lesson yesterday when the Pinglet fell asleep on the bus on the way home, with a full diaper (if you get my drift), leaving me with no alternative but to carry her 10kg body 20 minutes to my house, uphill, in the heat of midday. I know it's supposed to be "fall" and all that, but it certainly hasn't yet come to Kyushu. And of course, upon entering the house, after changing her diaper so quietly and quickly, she woke up. Murphy's Law...whatever can go wrong will.

2 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Girl Japan said...

Isn't is lovely to run into other gals/women, I just love it! I see you are well traveled as well- I enjoying traveling for the cultural experience,

After that long day, I sure bet she fell asleep and had a good nights slumber...

I went ahead and blog rolled you = )

Anonymous said...

Sounds like quite a day of unusual and interesting meetings. Would have loved to see Nao with the balloons.
Love Mom

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review