Thursday, July 24, 2008

Sweating to the Oldies

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 7/24/2008
So, the semis (cicadas) came out in full force last night, and one confused insect woke the Pinglet up from a sound sleep at 4AM by chirruping outside my front door.

Now that the semis are here, I know that the summer's arrived. The only good thing about their arrival is that their departure will signal the end of the dog days of summer and the sooner we start this process, the sooner I'll be warming my tootsies under a kotatsu.

I hate summer. I didn't even like it when I was younger and now that I live in the Asian version of the Amazon rainforest, I really, REALLY hate it. I sweat buckets. I sweat from every pore, in every orifice, and have even discovered sweat in places that I didn't even know had sweat glands. I feel like every day is just one big, long hot flash. I figure menopause should be a breeze after this.

I probably wouldn't feel so bad about it if I had a sympathetic partner who understood what I was going through. But I have a husband who's version of sweating is having a bead--ONE bead--of sweat on his nose when the humidity reaches, oh, about 2,000%.

I usually try to keep myself from moving too much in the summer, lest I start the Great Sweat Jamboree in my body, but this year, the Pinglet is out and about. She is also in a stage where she Must.Be.Held.Constantly and reassured that I won't suddenly disappear on her. Because in her mind, that's what I always do when I go somewhere, like to the bathroom for 5 minutes. Those 5 minutes are a brutal test of her endurance to be out of the reach of my arms. It's an eternity.

So, the Pinglet wants to be in constant contact with my body, which is really nice in the winter because you have all that extra body heat. But at the height of summer (which hasn't even arrived yet...horrors), adding an additional 97.8 degrees to a body that's already suffering from the heat is just unfathomable. 

But how can you resist when you get a look like this, asking to be picked up for some cuddling?

5 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

illahee said...

oh, that last picture is precious!

Sara said...

I hear ya about the heat.

Lets hope this summer goes by quickly and so we can get on to better things like eating nabe and maple leaf watching.

marianne said...

Our semis have been doing their stuff for weeks here.Bloody annoying at times.TG we live on the coast so we get a sea breeze on good days.Sorry,maybe shouldn't mention that;)

Anonymous said...

We had so much fun watching Nao run around with such abandon!
Nana & Bapu

Erin said...

ok, so when we went to Japan in July it was "monsoon season" in Aomori-ken. But man, the humidity. I think I lost weight just because I was sweating!!! I do not envy you the Japanese summers!!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review