Friday, May 2, 2008

An old soul

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 5/02/2008
I sometimes think the Pinglet is an "old soul," come to teach us about her spiritual understanding. She came into this world bawling her head off but quickly quieted down and looked around with wide-open eyes and an expression on her face that said, "Ready or not, world, here I come...again!"

This "old soul" look sometimes manifests itself in her eyes, especially when she's attempting to communicate that she wants to be fed/dressed/changed/bathed/taken out for a walk/picked up/put to bed. It's a look that says, Come on, Mommy, let's get on the ball. I've already been around here for nine months. You should have most of this down pat already. Let's get moving! It's a bit like Billy's Boot Camp, but with a cuter drill sergeant. 

I wonder if she sometimes thinks that her karma is a bit tarnished around the edges, having ended up with first-time parents. Does she wonder why she has to train a new Mommy and Daddy again? Or does she look at it as a challenge (No really, universe, I'm totally up for this. Send me to that couple down there. They look like they could use a baby that's been around the block a few times.) Either way, watching her hit different milestones seems to be exciting only to us. We squeal and shriek, "Look at what she did! She's a genius!" While the Pinglet looks totally unimpressed with whatever she's just achieved and just moves on to the next thing on the list. 

Today, she took her first unaided step. She was all matter-of-fact about it, although I thought I caught a flicker of pity in her old soul eyes, followed by a look of ageless wisdom: "You two don't know what you're in for, but I'll try to make it as painless as possible."

Well, it was either that, or she needed her diaper changed.

5 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Christelle said...

Yay! I get first comment this time! (No idea why that pleases me). Loved this post- I love the way you write! Our baby will also have to deal with first time parents. Hope he goes easy on us :)

Thanks for your nice compliment on my blog by the way :)

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see her walking (running?) in July!
Love Mom

Nay said...

I can't believe it has been 9 months already!! It doesn't feel like that for me, so I can't imagine how quickly these last 9 months have flown for you. wow... she has taken her first steps already. You guys must be so proud. She is gorgeous!

Gina said...

I agree with Nay, I can't believe it's been 9 month's already either. She is such a beautiful and gorgeous little girl!!! So precious!!! : )

Erin said...

awww! what a sweet post! (you need to print it and give it to her win she graduates from high school or something!)

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review