Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Sicko

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 4/16/2008
Today was Pinglet's polio vaccination. Another city hall run event (like her TB vaccination), I was a bit more prepared for the factory-like efficiency. It was so fast that Ping didn't even realize it was over.

The Pinglet's gotten very strong over the past few months. I had a hard time holding her still for the doctor to listen to her heart. She was crying and struggling...apparently, she inherited my doctor-hating genes, which doesn't bode well for me. Ping just doesn't get the fear of doctors, since he has (willingly, may I add) undergone stomach cameras not once, but twice(!), without being put out. I had to do this once, and all I can say is that I would rather wilingly go through labor again.

Anyway, the thing with the polio vaccine here is that it's given orally. So for 30 minutes after the Pinglet had it squirted into her mouth (while she was screaming and clutching at me. That was fun.), we had to make sure that she didn't put her hands into her mouth. Can you imagine the drama? She's 8 months old...does the medical profession here really think that I can explain to her that she can't suck on her fingers? You would think that that might have come up with a better way of doing this.

We survived the 30 minute wait--the Pinglet by crying, throwing her body all over the place and generally making a big fuss like she was being tortured; Ping by kissing the Pinglet on the head thinking that that was going to calm her down; and me by locking her arms under my own and looking around at all the other (well-behaved) kids and their parents, trying to put myself into trance by meditating and ignore the struggling baby in my arms trying desperately to get her hands into her mouth (she didn't succeed, so decided to wipe her snotty nose and polio infested mouth all over my shirt.)

I can't believe I have to go through this again in a few months with her second polio vaccination. I will offer good money to anyone willing to go in my place. Any takers?

4 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

liina said...

My son's had oral vaccines and at no point were we told that he couldn't put his hands in his mouth. Maybe it's a Japanese thing?

Christelle said...

LOL! Strong spirited little thing isn't she?

BTW I was happy to hear you say that you'd rather go through labour than the stomach camera. I've had that and survived and it wasn't so bad- so hey, that must mean labour will be a breeze!! :)

Anonymous said...

She's a girl after my own heart!

Love, Aunt Patty

Sherry said...

Gosh, that must have been tough. For both my kids, all four times, in two different cities they told me not to let them eat or drink for 30 minutes before and after, but that I only had to keep stuff out of their mouths for 5 minutes after the dose.

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review