Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Puff, puff

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 4/29/2008
The past week, I've started to get serious about getting back in shape. I was on a high for a few months from all the weight that I had lost during my pregnancy because I was eating right and craved things like vegetables and fruit, rather than pickles and ice cream (who would've thought?)

Well, you can only live off a high for so long before reality comes crashing in.

The "exercise" I get with the Pinglet (i.e. lugging her around on public transportation) has done little to lessen the circumference of my thighs and has given me rather bodybuilder-like arms. The fact that she's now tipping the scales at 8.5kg has me winded when I struggle to bring her up 3 flights of stairs (accompanied by various bags of her stuff that I bring with me to cut off any crying/fussing on her part). So I decided that I have to do something about it.

Bring on Billy's Boot Camp!

I borrowed this from a friend of mine, who cautioned me that it was really intense. I've also gone on about it blithely to other friends who have openly smirked or laughed at my naive enthusiasm.

I now get their less-than-enthusiasic responses. I just turned on the video tonight to check it out and see how the program was broken down. Once it started, I gingerly started to move my arms and legs, just like they were doing on the show.

Oh lordy. I was winded. I'm woman enough to admit that. But what I can't face was that I was winded when I was still in the stretching stage. I'm thinking that I'm not going to be one of their success stories if it takes me a few months just to get past the warm-up.

5 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Andrea said...

I just found your blog through Expat Women. I recently read a book based in Tokyo and now would love to visit there. Since I can't go quite yet (two kids, long flight, no money :) I thought I'd read some Japan blogs to get my fill. I'm find yours pretty funny. :)

Anonymous said...

Just seeing the name of the video would have made me winded...
Love Mom

Christelle said...

I heard about a P.E. teacher who tried those videos and couldn't walk afterwards!! So, don't feel too bad. Go slowly- you'll get there. And now that the weather is getting so nice, remember walking is really one of the best exercises around and it's free :) Say hi to cute Nao-chan for me!

Sara said...

Ohhh Billys Boot Camp!!
My MIL has a set of those... but honestly I'm too afraid to even try them out!

Let us know how they go though!! I'm sure that your body will adapt quickly enough!! I could barely get through 10 mins on my stationary bike at the beginning of this month and now I'm approaching 30 mins in one go!!

Belinda Herod said...

Sounds way too scary Chris!

With some spare cash this year, we invested in a high-end treadmill. It was SUCH a great thing! I now get to walk 3km each day while Darcy is asleep.

I think I'd rather be a couch potato than do that video! LOL!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review