Monday, April 14, 2008

15 minutes of fame

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 4/14/2008
I had a surreal experience today. I took a "walk" around the city center with the Pinglet (in quotes, because going out for a walk with the little bug entails taking not only the stroller, but also a sling for when HRH gets bored with her wheeled transport and wants her underpaid, overworked lackey to carry her around). We went to a local outdoors department store and while we were hanging around one of the fountains, watching the water dance around, I spotted a fellow (male) foreigner checking me out.

Now, I have no illusions about what I look like. I just had a baby (and how long can I use that excuse for my lack of muscle tone?) and I desperately need a haircut and MAJOR surgery on my hair color. Plus, I was walking around with a baby. So I was pretty sure he wasn't going to come over and ask me out.

I figured he was probably some weirdo best left alone, so I ignored him, which was easy because some little boy decided that I was going to be his best friend and he regaled me with tales of all the water fountains he had visited in life (he was four).

While I'm pretending to be interested in a history of fountains in Japan, presented by my four-year-old lecturer, I see the guy come up out of the corner of my eye. 

He was a violinist from Russia, who's traveled around Japan and the U.S. He also told me that the reason he came over to talk was because he thought I was a missionary (huh?) and that he wanted to invite me to his Baptist church here (double huh?). He then told me all about his travels in the U.S. and where he went when he was there. His favorite city was Springfield, Missouri (triple huh? from the NY girl) because he quote "liked the American people in the Bible Belt" end quote. This was about the time that I decided to remove myself from the Bible Belt Russian and the water fountain professor child-genius.

Can you imagine what was running through my mind as Boris Yeltsin was chatting to me? I was looking around for movie cameras because, I swear, I thought I was going to star in the next Borat film. Bible Belt? Missionaries? All this while the four-year-old was spouting on about water pipes?

Keep your eyes peeled. You never know. Kuri and the Pinglet could be coming to a theatre near you!

4 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

illahee said...

i am rolling over here. good job!

Anonymous said...

sounds like quite the fun interlude :-)
Love Mom

Erin said...

yeah, that sounds like a punked episode. But it makes sense that he would see you as American so automatically as a missionary. (God, it is so ironic that I am going to Japan this summer to help with English using the book of Luke...!!!)

Belinda Herod said...

How ODD!!!

I wonder what on EARTH made him think you were a missionary? LOL!!!!!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review