Sunday, March 30, 2008

Lullaby and good night

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 3/30/2008
I spent the afternoon getting pampered at the local spa. Since Ping came down with the flu last week and spent 3 nights at a hotel for fear of contaminating his precious baby girl, the Pinglet and I have spent the last week together, 24/7. It got to the point where I was hoping that I would come down with the flu so I could have a night of uninterrupted sleep at a nice hotel.

I had the flu once when I came to Japan and had to crawl around on the floor because I had no strength to walk on two legs. Wishing to be in that state again worried me for a bit, until I heard that sleep deprivation will make you do/think things a sane person would never do.

But there's been movement on the sleep front! This week, after 5 solid months of having to prop my eyelids open with toothpicks, the Pinglet has decided that going to...and STAYING asleep (this is key)...isn't the world of horror that she thought it would be.

Mom & Dad: 1 / Pinglet: 0

Oh, if only it were that simple. No, this is isn't a solid victory for Mom and Dad. Because the Pinglet's not getting a solid night of sleep in her crib. No, no, no. She's taken over our bed. And, because we are dumbfounded that we're actually completing REM cycles, we've decided that she's going to stay there for a while, until we're strong enough to resume the battle of wills.

Any bets on who'll win? *sigh* Yeah...I think we'll be shopping for a bigger bed soon too.


2 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Heidi said...

We sleep with our kids too and it was not planned that way. We sleep with them for the same reasons as you. Actually, our 2nd was better and could probably have slept on his own, but since we had already started down that path with his older sibling ....

I get a lot of criticism though from non-Japanese friends (with no kids) for doing that. They often tell me I should just let the kiddo cry it out. Easier said than done, right? And we all need our precious sleep.

The elder one is now almost 4 and I have to say, I do enjoy sleeping with my kids.

Sherry said...

I don't care who sleeps where in our house. And I don't care who thinks what about it, yk? If they would just let ME sleep I would gladly let them hang from the ceiling like bats if they wanted to. LOL!

My daughter is an unbelievably good sleeper. 12 hours straight a night from 5-6 weeks old. She was in my bed until 3 years old but never gave us any trouble about moving to her own bed.

My son is almost 22 months old and still doesn't let me get any rest no matter where I put him. (I've lately been considering the "trunk room" since the weather is warming up!)

I feel your misery. Hang in there.

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review