Sunday, March 16, 2008

Grandparents and other great things

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 3/16/2008
Nana (my Mommy) came to visit last week. The last time she saw the Pinglet was when she was 1 month old and other than photos and the occasional visit to this blog, she hasn't had a chance to see her in real life. Up close and personal. In all her non-sleeping/spirited/laughing/squealing/shrieking glory.


The Pinglet made sure that Nana got a good dose of her before she had to go home. And I think that Nana was happy to get some sleep, even if it was jet-lag tainted sleep, when she was free to cross the border of babyland.

Nana is a baby veteran (OK, well, except for the feeding thing. Even after 5 kids and 2 grandkids, food just doesn't seem to make it into the gaping mouth of the baby she's trying to feed. She's the first to admit it!) She's gotten her stripes working in the trenches, raising 5 kids, who all turned out pretty good (especially the one who lives in Japan). She was full of advice about this-and-that, which, I can tell you, was a welcome change from Ping and I looking at each other blankly as we tried to figure out the inner workings of the little tornado that's landed in our home.

And she is most definitely a tornado. A whirling dervish, if you will. I never knew how quick she could be crawling around the apartment until I tried to stop her determined path to the outlet in the kitchen. OK, I didn't have to actually run to grab her chubbly*, little legs before she got to her destination, but there was definite skipping going on. But that's not the best part. Ah, no. Because Nana was here visiting, the Pinglet decided that she would attempt to pull herself up into a standing position and try to take a few steps. Because, of course, that's what you do when you've been crawling for only 1 1/2 weeks. You really want to get all these milestones in before you hit your 8-month-old birthday. And when you have a captive audience, that makes it even better.

Nana was very different from the Mommy I remember from when I was a child. I don't recall being given presents every day just because I was there. Or having a permanent playmate around just in case I was bored playing alone. Or dancing together to "Hairspray" (OK, so the movie wasn't out when I was a baby, but you get the idea.) Nanas are special. When Mommy has a frown on her face from the latest screaming fit because a certain little person doesn't want to put her pajamas on since that means that it will soon be that unmentionable word--B.E.D.T.I.M.E.--Nanas are there with a smile and a hug to make everything all better. Or take you out to the local hang-out and show you the wildlife there--dogs, cats, fish. Oh, and pigeons who are mating. Right in front of my 7-month-old. Thanks, Nana. I'll know who to send her to when she starts asking where babies come from.

* I was going to correct the word "chubbly" but think it's cute and will patent it.

5 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Anonymous said...

Nana's in love, you know.
Love, Aunt Patty

Gina said...

Ohhh, the visit with your mom sounded fantastic! And she sounds like a wonderful grandma and mom!!! : )

Midori said...

Grandmas are great aren't they? My Mum is phenomenal with joey but like you say, I don't remember being given sweets and stuff as regularly as joey gets them!! ;-)

Christelle said...

I've been feeling a bit "chubbly" lately myself, so thanks for the compliment on my blog :) (Figured I'd help spread the new word for you). Glad to hear you had such a good visit. It was so nice to read about it and to feel how special your mom is from your writing.

Christelle said...

AND what a great picture of Nao with your Mom!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review