Saturday, February 2, 2008

Addiction

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 2/02/2008
See this face? This is the face of an addict. She's here today to tell you her story and help future generations of babies stay off the path that she's trod down.

Her vice? The dakkohimo, or sling.

The Pinglet's Story:

I live in a city and Mommy forces me to go out every day. For some reason, she doesn't like to try to get me to sleep because it takes hours and I only close my eyes for a few minutes. Just long enough for her to fall into a deep sleep before I decide that she's had enough rest.

After I was born, Mommy had this funny idea that her hands should be free to do something other than hold me. Funny Mommy. She's always trying to make me laugh. She tried to put me into this complicated cloth thing-y that didn't allow me to kick my legs or wave my arms about, and I certainly couldn't see a damn thing (forgive my language, but I have to get this off my chest. Mommy uses that word and others like it all the time. I'm learning so much from her.). Well, this cloth thing-y, which I heard everyone calling a "sling," was like being back in Mommy's tummy. But I had just gotten out of that cramped space and couldn't understand why she was trying to put me back in.

So I resisted with all the might of my little being. I think I did a pretty good job, if I do say so myself. I remember the days when Mommy would be forced to bring me and the stroller and the big diaper bag filled with clothes to wipe my face/clothes/hair when my little tummy felt too full. It was fun to watch Mommy's face turn bright red and sweaty, when she was trying to figure out how to balance everything and hold me at the same time. I made sure to move around as much as possible, because I think that helped her balance everything. And if I could help her more by throwing up, I tried to do that too. I'm Mommy's Little Helper.

Well, Mommy didn't much go for the idea of public transport and the stroller, so she went out on a research mission to locate a sling thing that I would like. She tried 3 but I did my best to register my distaste for them in a loud and clear voice. I like to be heard and want my preferences known.

But Mommy persisted and then she found it! The sling to end all slings. That fits like a second skin. That lulls me to sleep the minute I get in it. I feel like a baby Roo when I'm strapped in. It's all the comforts of being in Mommy's tummy, but with lots and lots of freedom to move around. Sometimes Mommy tries to rub her shoulders and says that I'm getting too heavy, but I know she's just joshing. She likes to joke around with me.

But I'm starting to see signs that Mommy is looking for a different way to get me around town. And it's making me afraid. I'm already having issues with going to and staying asleep, and now she wants to add a new problem to the list? Mommy, I'm not ready to give up my new found friend. I don't have a problem. I'm not addicted.

I'm trying to get my story out to all the new baby-slingers out there who have Mommies who might be trying a similar tactic. Be on the watch. You must break her spirit before she gets ideas like this into her mind. I find that sleep deprivation has worked well for me, but there are many things you can do to ensure that you can continue in the style to which you've become accustomed.

It's all a matter of survival of the fittest. We're babies. We're so cute that people will forgive pretty much everything. Use it to your advantage.

This is the Pinglet. Over and out.

4 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

medea said...

Adorable! Julian loves his sling too, although now it's on my hip.

What kind of sling is it that Pinglet likes?

Christelle said...

Excellent post! Thanks for telling me (and my pregnant brain) how to access the comments! I feel so silly :) And may I just say that baby Nao is as cute as ever- she definitely has the look of someone in charge!

Amber said...

That is the cutest addict I've ever seen!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I found your blog via Midori's and I just had to comment. I'm the ombu addict in this house. *^_^*

My 29month old still naps best in the baackpack. I am not patient enough to do the pat to sleep thing and she refuses to be walked to sleep in winter so we still do the backpack. At 15kg and 91cm she's breaking my back! If your gorgeous addict starts an Onbu Anonymous let me know!

Heather

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review