Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Oh the places you'll see

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 1/29/2008
The Pinglet's digestive system has matured to the point where she doesn't vomit too much anymore. I don't have to hear the comments from people anymore when she's just puked on the floor, my shoe, or the person holding her *whoops*

While she doesn't vomit all over the place anymore, she does it sometimes, but is very selective about what clothing she decides to befoul. I have a sweatshirt from college that is falling apart at the seams. It's an "indoor" outfit, meaning that it's unfit to be seen outside my apartment. I won't tell you exactly how old the sweatshirt is (I know that some of you are very good at math and I wish to retain my mystery as a "thirty something"), but I will tell you that it was during the administration of one of the "good ol' boys" from Texas. Thank the goddess that the reign of the second good ol' boy is coming to an end.

Anywho, the Pinglet just does not like this sweatshirt. Every single time I've worn it, she has vomited all over it. Even if she's gone the entire day, the minute she sees the sweatshirt--BAM!--the Exorcist is in residence. I'm thinking she probably doesn't want to go to my alma mater when she gets older. Just a hunch.

On another topic, Mande at Mande's J-Life, wrote an interesting post about eating your words after you become a parent. I especially liked the following sections--aptly named "Topics that Divide":

Breastfeeding vs. bottle feeding:
I bottle feed. In Japan (or at least in my little hamlet in the Land of the Rising Sun), this is akin to actually coming from outer space (rather than only being perceived as being from outer space because you're a foreigner). So whenI break out the bottle and formula, the looks of fascination and questions start pouring in. Most people just marvel at how much the Pinglet drinks, but I do get the occasional nosy question from someone who must-know-or-die-from-the-curiousity why I'm not breastfeeding. I get this question from random people on the street, especially old women, and from the occasional cabdriver, who I think is probably more of a perv than actually wants a real answer.

Cry it out (CIO) vs. No cry sleep solutions
I cannot stand to hear the Pinglet cry. I know a lot of people may think, "Oh, she has a soft spot for the baby and the thought of hearing her cry sends an arrow through her heart." Um, OK, person living in a fantasy world of their own making. Here's the real reason I can't bear to hear her cry: The heavens gave her a voice that cannot be contained. Her cries make dogs cringe in terror and make my eardrums feel like they're going to shatter. No matter how long she cries, there is no change in the intensity, loudness, or strength of her shrieks so the quicker I can get her calmed down, the better.

I'd love it if I had a baby that would let me put her to sleep with the "no-cry solution", which I we do with the Pinglet. Ping absolutely can't stand to hear her cry, but for different reasons. He's more from the "poor little thing" camp, while I'm from the "holy sh*it...she's reving up!" camp. So, while we have different reasons, we still arrive at the same point, so all is well in that area.

The Pinglet doesn't like to sleep. She thinks she's missing something if she closes her eyes for a minute, even though I let her know that Mommy and Daddy just fall into bed exhausted after getting her to sleep and no, we're not having a party after you close those little eyes. She doesn't believe me though. She is a "spirited baby" according to The Baby Whisperer, and no matter how many times I've walked around with her in, say, the kitchen to get her to sleep, she'll keep herself awake by looking at whatever she can to distract her from dropping off. Because you never know when the kitchen might be rearranged and she'll have to study it all over again after she wakes up.

I do understand why people do the CIO method and have entertained that thought a couple of times myself. I just don't know if my neighbors are up to the challenge. They do say that it takes a village to raise a child. Maybe I should remind them of that.

4 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Sara said...

Ahh.. I think one thing I am not looking forward to is eventually having a crying baby.. I'm praying for a nice calm relaxed one.. knowing me that won't happen.

Is bottle feeding really that uncommon in Japan? I guess that since my friend who just had a baby bottle feed I thought it was the norm if not encouraged? She told me she was practically forced by nurses to give formula.

Maybe the Pinglet is trying to give you a sign about the sweater? Could be an omen of things to come. Anyways she sounds like such a spunky girl. All your stories about her are so entertaining! I hope you and Ping can get some rest though!

Sherry said...

Your daughter and mine sound so much alike. I couldn't let mine cry it out as after about 30 seconds of her screaming my eardrums were bleeding. My son on the other hand is easier to take, at least until he got old enough to follow me around the house. I also bottle fed and understand the questions and grief people give you about it.

Amber said...

*laughs* You know, I've had sleeping problems since I was a newborn and they still carry with me to this day..... Just a warning. *hugs*

Mande's J-Life said...

Yes, I was thinking of you when I wrote about the breastfeeding versus bottle feeding issue. There are so many moms up here in Kanto area who do bottle feed though! And, plenty more who wean at an early age (3 months or so) to start bottle feeding, and one reason for this (I heard) was so they could lose their pregnancy weight faster. You do tend to keep on more weight while nursing. I was surprised to hear that reason in particular, but I think that in any case, whatever works for you and the baby is what you should be doing. And, by the way, what do you say to those strangers who ask you such idiotic questions? What is your comeback?

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review