Friday, November 16, 2007

Jingle bells, Batman smells

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 11/16/2007
Now that the Pinglet's surgery is over, I've realized that the Christmas season is almost upon us. I have to get crackin' on the Christmas present front.

I'm normally that person that people love to hate. I have my Christmas shopping and Christmas cards done by the first of November and can relax in front of the fire with a cup of hot cocoa, since I'm not trying to wrestle that last sweater from the hands of an equally desperate woman. Never mind that I don't actually have a fireplace and that I've finished up the last of the cocoa because I'm a chocolate fiend. I'm just trying to give you a visual here.

This year, however, I fear that I will have to join the multitudes doing last minute shopping. I remember hearing that a majority of men shop for Christmas presents on Christmas eve. I certainly hope this won't be the case for me, since the now privatized Japanese post office already has two black marks against them: 1) for sending a friend's package back to them, not once but TWICE for a reason no one can figure out, and 2) for taking over one month to get a package to me from Canada that was sent by air mail. Privatizing a service with a majority of civil servants as employees seems like a no-brainer to me, but perhaps I'm missing the big picture here.

It looks like I'll be a good customer for Amazon this year, as always. Having now been in Japan going on 14 years, I've done the whole Japanese gift thing and I don't think that my family members will appreciate the umpteenth pair of chopsticks. Especially since they don't use them. I figure that I'll save myself the stress and shop online. It doesn't have that same Christmas feel as pounding the pavement for the ultimate gift, but at least I won't have a squirming Pinglet strapped to me while I try to find the perfect bath and beauty product that I'll have to translate the instructions to before leaving it in the capable hands of Japan Post.

It'll be great. I'll just pop in a Christmas CD, string some pretty green and red lights around the monitor and dress Pinglet up like a Christmas tree. Ahhh, the Christmas spirit. You can't beat it.

4 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Cari said...

robin laid an egg...

couldn't resist.

I kow what you mean on the Japanese gifts, even by my 2nd Japanese christmas it had lost its novelty. I'm finding it hard to shop here even, nothing seems super exciting. It will likely be all abaout Amazon and B&N though -- I ordered something for my bro Sunday night and was notified Tues AM it shipped. That night he called me and it was there -- can't beat that :)

Mom said...

I got a kick out of visualizing Nao as a Chrismas tree & you sitting in front of a non-existent fire with non-existent cocoa. Ah....the power of imagination. Love Mom

Narelle said...

I can't believe we are facing another Christmas. I am looking forward to the holidays but not the holiday shopping. Online shopping sounds great to me!!!

NB

deenster said...

So glad that Nao's surgery went well!! I can't believe that Christmas is just right around the corner. I admire you for being organized with your shopping...I must admit I am one of those people who sometimes shop on Christmas Eve! ;-)

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review