Monday, October 15, 2007

Family Fun

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 10/15/2007
The most recent of our overseas guests, my brother, Kenny, just spent a fun-filled, unforgettable week with us. Fun-filled for me and unforgettable for him, in that he got more exposure to a baby than he ever planned in his life.

Yes, little Nao was not on her best behavior for poor Uncle Kenny. She usually pretends to be the perfect little angel* when she meets someone for the first time (for example, when she is around some of my friends, I'll frequently be the recepient of such comments like, "What an angel!" "She's so good, so quiet!". I'll mutter an incoherent reply and try to contain my hysterical laughter for fear of losing my only outlet for adult conversation. My parents enjoyed a full day of her best behavior, but as the weeks have gone by, she's lost any sense of decorum around strangers.) Suffice it to say, Nao let loose with her oh-so-characteristic cry of "PLAY WITH ME! HOLD ME! FEED ME!" a full five minutes after meeting Kenny. I told him that she was comfortable with him already, while he looked at me with fear in his eyes. Yes, you should be afraid, was what I was thinking. Nao ended up loving her Uncle Kenny, especially when she was faced with the other choice: No-Fun-Mom.

So since Kenny left on Saturday, Nao has been forced to spend the day with me. She's not happy that all the little perks of being with her grandparents, aunts and uncles--and yes, even her father--(i.e. being held constantly and fed lots and lots of milk) are not on the menu anymore. Oh the trials of being an almost 3 month old. And it's going to get a lot tougher on Thursday when she goes for her first round of vaccination shots. I wonder how she'll be. I know that we're already on the peditrician's sh.it list for "dropping by" so often. Reminds me of my own peditrician who, when faced with an entire room of me and my brothers and sisters, only had the strength to run out the door, lean against the wall wearily, and say, "They're here again. Run!"

(A photo of Nao and I sleeping in the exact same position. Wonder who she takes after? I only hope she doesn't take after me at the doctor's office. *shiver*)

* According to The Baby Whisperer, there are five different types of babies: Angel, Textbook, Touchy, Grouchy, and Spirited. Nao is a combination of all, except for the Angel and Textbook descriptions. Figures.

3 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Midori said...

What a cute pic! The first time I took Joey for shots, I spent more time in tears than he did!! I was abnormally distressed by the fact that someone had inflicted pain on him and there was nothing I could do about it!! Good luck!!

Belinda said...

Good luck! I don't do needles well so that is one job Steven has in this family! We get first immunisations at 8 weeks here in Australia - the schedule there must be quite different!

I am glad all is going well :)

Winnie said...

Wow! She's gorgeous and you look great. Thinking of you all. I can honestly say I do not envy you the trip for vaccines. You deserve a medal.:)

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review