Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Dr. Zhivago

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 10/30/2007
We're about to learn a bit about the medical profession in Japan through the eyes of a child.

The Pinglet was diagnosed with an ovarian hernia two weeks ago and we've been doing the rounds of the different hospitals in the area to get a second opinion. OK, third opinions because we didn't like what the first two doctors (as well as both mine and Ping's research on the internet) told us since it didn't gel with my vision that the first doctor's diagnosis was wrong.

All the doctors and our research said the same thing: that she'll need surgery and the sooner the better. Although we're not Christian Scientists, we did hold out hope that it might clear up on its own, but were told by the doctor today that if it was going to clear up, it would have done so by the time she was one month old. So there you have it.

We have her surgery scheduled for this Friday. She'll have to be hospitalized from Thursday to Saturday and we'll be staying with her for that time. Both Ping and I have "done time" in hospitals in Japan and I can't believe that the Pinglet has to serve already when it's only her first offense.

Today, she had to get a few things done as prep for surgery (blood taken, x-ray, etc.) and was a complete bitch to all the medical staff. I was so proud. When she was yelling her head off while they were taking blood--which started even before they stuck her, because she had to be swaddled and my daughter HATES to be immobile at any time--I was also pissed on her behalf and made sure to tell her in Japanese (so that the nurses would understand) that she was more than free to scream her dissatifaction with the service in the joint.

Your thoughts/prayers are appreciated!

16 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

coarse gold girl said...

Kuri, Ping and Pinglet--you are all in my thoughts and prayers!

Laura

Tigermama said...

I`ll be thinking and praying for all of you this Friday. Take care!

Gina said...

Your family, will be in my thoughts and prayers as well!

Nancy said...

Sorry Nao (and you guys) have to go through all of this! Praying for a quicky and pain-free recovery!

Nay said...

You all will be in my thoughts and prayers on Friday.I hope that little nao recovers quickly!

Sarahbee said...

Im so sorry to hear that!
Your family will be my in my thoughts and prayers as well..

Good luck with the doctors.. it will be interesting to hear about your experiences..

Lulu said...

I am sorry to hear that your little one is sick. I hope and pray for a speedy recovery for Nao.

Also, best of luck to you and Ping! Having a child go into surgery must be hard.

Best of luck

dongurigal said...

It must be tough for you both having to deal with this so soon. My thoughts are with you. I'm sure little Nao will recover quickly.

Helen said...

Kuri, I'm crossing my fingers and toes that things will go well. I'll think of you all on Friday.

Heidi said...

(This is my first time posting)

Crossing my fingers for your family and I hope all goes well.

Danielle said...

Clearly Nao is a trooper and will come with through with flying colors! I will be thinking of you all and will be looking forward to the next update.

C said...

Oh no! You'll all be in my thoughts on Friday!

deenster said...

Sorry to hear that little Nao has to have surgery! :-( I will be thinking good thoughts for all of you.

Belinda said...

Hope everything goes well Chris. I will be thinking of Nao tomorrow.

Hugs!!!
- Belinda

Mande's J-Life said...

Just catching up! Didn't realize you had so much time to write about your adventures with Nao! Wow, I am sorry to hear she is having surgery. Good luck, little Nao! Hope you feel better soon!

Mande's J-Life said...

Just catching up! Didn't realize you had so much time to write about your adventures with Nao! Wow, I am sorry to hear she is having surgery. Good luck, little Nao! Hope you feel better soon!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review