Sunday, October 28, 2007

Bookworms Anonymous

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 10/28/2007
So I've finally progressed to the point of having some time for myself. The first thing I did? Run to the bookstore to pick up some new books.

I discovered the last time I had my Red Cross nurse fly in some book supplies that all the books I ordered were on India and Afghanistan. I even had asked for The Assult on Reason by Al Gore, which in my wildest imagination I don't think I would ever have dreamed of wanting to read (it's still sitting on my "to read" pile all the way on the bottom). I can only put it down to pregnancy brain, which seems to have fixed itself a bit over the past month or so.

It was quite frightening for a while because I would find myself telling the same story, over and over, to the same people. Except for me it was still fresh and exciting. My poor victims, however, clearly seeing that I was afflicted with baby brain, tried very hard not to bring it to my attention and let me go on my merry (if clueless) way. I've only just realized what a BORE I must have been. Apologies all around if you happened to be a conversation buddy of mine at any time during the past months.

So Nao is nao (did you like that little pun?) a little over 3 months and like I said, I'm starting to get back into reading (See? I'm even able to come back to a topic after I've gone off on a tangent. Life is good.) One of the books I picked up the other day was a new (well, new to me) book by Stephen King. I don't read very many of his books because, frankly, they either make no sense or scare the shit out of me. I still have never been able to read or see The Shining.

The book I picked up is called Lisey's Story and it's a book that I wish I could put down (actually, I'd like to hide it outside my apartment and never look at it again, it scares me so much), but that has me hooked so deeply that I've found myself actually wasting precious sleeping time to finish it. It reminds me of when I was younger and would get up in the middle of the night to go read books by the light of the stairwell in my parents' house. I thought I was being crafty, but of course my parents knew all about it. Plus, I am the only one in my family that has the vision of a bat, i.e. none.

I'm trying to pass on my love of reading to Nao. Thus far, she's progressed from her "I Love You" cloth book, which has 3 pages to "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?", a true classic. She's actually reading the book on her own (Just joking...have you ever heard the term oyabaka (親ばか)? It means that your child (and only your child) is a protegy and does everything perfectly. And, what's even worse, is that you want to share all that information with your friends, family, even strangers on the internet. It's a sickness, I tell you.

She's already literate, I tell you. She'll probably be in college by the time she's ten. See? She's already reading cards from her Nana and Bapu in New York.

1 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Mom said...

Let me know if there are any books you want....and you can talk about Nao any time....I love it.
Mom

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review