Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 8/01/2007
Well everyone...the minute I post that I can't stand waiting anymore, little Nao Christine decides to show up!

She was born at 37 weeks and 6 days on July 19th and weighed 2.6kg (5 lbs, 12 oz) and was 47 cm long.

Nao (pronounced "na" and "oh") decided that she didn't want to wait the full 40 weeks before arriving. Actually she's been trying to come out since week 32, which was the reason for my many hospitalizations. After I turned 37 weeks on July 14th, my doctor allowed me to come off the medication I was on to stop pre-term labor. On Tuesday morning (July 17th), I went to the hospital because I was having really bad cramping and some bleeding. I was hooked up to the monitor and was having regularly spaced contractions. I was admitted and the doctor checked me the next morning (Wednesday, July 18th) but said that the contractions were Braxton-Hicks and that I wasn't dialated at all so he sent me home.

The bleeding didn't get any better that day so back in I went. I was hooked up to a monitor again and found out that I was totally flatlined... no contractions, nothing. So we went back home again for the second time.

Ping and I went to bed about midnight but I wasn't able to sleep. I went back to bed and at 5AM, I woke up because I heard this enormous POP. I ran to the bathroom and realized that my water broke. So off we went to the hospital for the third time in as many days, but this time it was for real!

In the car on the way to the hospital, I was having uncomfortable contractions every 1 1/2 minutes. When we got to the hospital at around 5:30AM, the midwife checked me and I was 1 cm dialated and was admitted because my water had already broke. The contractions were spaced 30 seconds to 1 minute apart from 5:30AM to 9AM (3 1/2 hours) and at 9AM, I was only 3 cm. Then from 9AM to 10AM, I went from 3 cm to 10 cm...in ONE HOUR. I did natural childbirth...not from choice, but because they don't use epidurals as much in Japan as they do in other places. The midwife checked me around 10AM and I found out that I was fully dialated so off to the delivery room we went.

Even though I had dialated quickly (from 1 to 10cm in 5 hours), I ended up pushing for THREE hours. I kept asking Ping what time it was, because the doctor thought I would have the baby by noon (we ended up having the baby at 1:04PM) and he kept lying to me, telling me it was earlier than it was (the clock was behind me, which was a good thing). Ping watched the entire thing...he saw the head crowning and the baby slip out after I had an episomity. Nao cried immediately after coming out and then sneezed. I had thought that Ping and I would cry, but neither of us did, although I continued to say "Oh, my God, oh, my God" over and over when they put her on my stomach after she came out.

I ended up hemorraging after Nao was born and was almost was sent to another hospital for a blood transfusion, but luckily I was right under the line. The doctor told me that usually people lose about 300-500 ml of blood during birth. I lost 850 ml and they cut off line is 1000 ml. So I was pretty lucky. The bleeding (which also was probably the source of my previous bleeding episodes in June and July) was caused by a part of the placenta which was low-lying and that had attached itself to some of my blood vessels that run along the cervix. When the placenta was delivered, it didn't come out in one piece (the problem section was still in there) so the doctor had to manually go in and get it (with his hand *shudder* *puke*) and place a balloon in my cervix to stop the bleeding because the after-contractions weren't effective in stopping the bleeding in that particular area. I ended up having to stay in the delivery room for 4 1/2 hours after Nao was born to be monitored for blood loss and then was on an IV for three days to replenish the lost blood. I ended up being severly anemic the following days and was restricted to bedrest until Saturday, but we were able to have Nao in the room with us 24 hours a day, so that was fine.

Nao also ended up with a slight infection (probably because of the long pushing stage) and had to be given antibiotics. She also ended up with a slight case of jaundice but is getting better now.

I'm enjoying the babymoon and will be on again soon! Thanks to you all for your best wishes!! :)

22 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

ambjp said...

Welcome Nao-chan and congratulations to the new family.

What an adventure ...

Enjoy the babymoon.

Annerose

coarse gold girl said...

Congratulations! She is absolutely beautiful! The picture of your family is lovely. Enjoy the babymoon!
Laura

Nay said...

Congratulations! This is the first time I have left a comment, although I have been reading about your adventures for sometime now. Just seeing the sight of your very very cute baby, gave reason to this sudden comment!

Hope little nao-chan is healthy and you enjoy being a new mum!

Nancy said...

Oh Chris - Nao is absolutely gorgeous! Sounds like quite the birth story, but I am glad everyone is now happy and healthy! Congrats to you and E7 and welcome to mommyhood :)

Sarah said...

Congratulations! I love the picture of the three of you. Your husband looks so proud and protective at the same time.

Erin said...

yay!!!! she's precious!!! And Ping watched the whole thing! How brave!

(I've always wondered how that POP sounds. I guess you have to experience it first person to know...)

L. said...

She's lovely -- CONGRATS!!!!!

Gina said...

Congratulations!!! Welcome to the world beautiful baby Nao-chan!!! She is an absolutely gorgeous baby! : )

Belinda said...

God your birth and afterwards sounded quite hideous! Im sure you've forgotten the pain and the worry of it all already though! At least yours came out before time - mine had to be dragged out a week late! LOL! So after all that, are you game for a 2nd one? LOL!

glad you're settling in nicely at home and that you are all well :-)

liina said...

Beautiful name, beautiful baby! And what a birth story!! :) Congratulations, a lifetime of beautiful memories has just started :)

Midori said...

She is gorgeous!! ;-) Thanks for sharing your birth story with us, enjoy your babymoon!

WendyJI said...

Congratulations! I've been reading your blog for ages and am so happy for you! Nao-chan is gorgeous & looks so healthy. Our DS was about the same weight/length at 40 weeks 2 days, and is now a strapping 11.2 kg and 82 cm at 22 months. They grow so quickly! Omedetou gozaimasu @ enjoy your babymoon!

Cha-chan said...

Hooray! What drama, though! Sounds like you handled it all VERY WELL. I think I would have smuggled an epidural into the country, but that's probably why I'm not brave enough to do what you did! Huge congrats again and I look forward to seeing pics of Nao-chan as she gets bigger and bigger! She's sooooo cute.

dongurigal said...

Nao is a beautiful baby--she looks so alert.

Congratulations. Your birth experience sounded scary, but all seems well now. Enjoy your time with the little gal!

So uh, I've been reading up on drug-free births (I'll be having my sprog in Canada). Should I be going for the epidural? Heh heh

thordora said...

Over from Ann's-congrats! She's lovely!

(I've had the hand removal twice. WORST.PAIN.EVER)

Winnie said...

Congrats!
I wish the best for you and baby's health.

Mary Witzl said...

Omedeto gozaimasu! Your baby really is cute and I can easily imagine your sense of relief and accomplishment, having been there myself.

I lost just under 900 ml of blood, so I also got by without a transfusion. But it was touch and go...

Granny said...

I've been trying to leave a congratulatory note here for 3 days. About the time your comment box pops up, my internet goes down.

Anyhow, she's beautiful. How blessed you are.

Ann

deenster said...

I'm sorry to hear about the complications, but what a gorgeous little girl!! Congratulations, and I hope you're enjoying the babymoon.

kuri & ping said...

Thanks for all the congratulations and for people coming out to leave comments. :)

Laura said...

Congratulations on your gorgeous little girl. She is just beautiful!

I'm so sorry your birth was traumatic. I hope you can heal from this. There are a few great websites out there for support and love in times like this.

Alex Case said...

Kawaiiii!

Congratulations

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review