Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The Nightly News

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 6/06/2007
I always question myself when I see things like this. Is it that I'm getting old and am not down with what's happening these days? Or, in the more likely event, is this really the most god-awful looking logo you've ever seen?

Surprisingly this didn't make the news in Japan, since the country's current obsession is about 50 million lost social security payments. It's a perfect case study in mismanagement and passing the buck, but since the LDP has been in power pretty much for the past 50 years, I would say that the buck pretty much stops with them. I particularly enjoyed receiving notice from the Social Insurance Agency (kind of like the Social Security Administration in the U.S.) informing me that I owe them about $1500 for this year's pension payments, even though I don't have a job.** Um, yeah...you keep waiting on that, people. The check'll be in the mail as soon as you find the owners of those 50 million payments.

It's a good thing that $1500 will be staying in our bank account here. We are discovering that having a baby is actually quite an expensive endeavor. We've gone through our lists (yes, plural because we have an American list and a Japanese list, of course) and realize that we better get a move on. E7's current obsession is about the baby's bathtime, so he's basically in charge of that list...plus the fact that I can't figure out what half of the items are that he's written down.

My obsession? Well, of course it's that age-old question: "Just remind me again. How is this baby getting out of it's current comfy residence?"

** Today's fun fact: In Japan, all people over age 20 are obligated to pay into the country's social security system each month, regardless of employment status (however, you're not penalized if you don't pay into the system. If you are a "salaryman," the money is deducted automatically from your paycheck.). So, even if you don't have a job, you have to figure out a way to cough up about $150 per month.

7 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Belinda said...

How's the baby getting out? Well, that's the FUN part... NOT! LOL!

Actually it doesn't have to be bad. My pesonal view? Some ppl torture themselves, trying to 'prove' something by going 'natural' and accepting no help or pain relief and they in my view, do it an un-necessarily hard way.

Get pain relief, you can rest, save your energy and it isn't so bad.

well, I had a c-section in the end so I never had to go there (thank god! so pleased LOL), so didn't dea with tears and stitches 'down there', but I had very strong contrax due to gel on the cervix and a high dose of pitocin so I was realllllly feeling those contrax & the pain relief .... well, you go from being in agony to not even knowing you're having a contrax if not for the monitor.

My tip - don't be a hero, consider pain relief!!!

illahee said...

where are you giving birth (if i may be so bold to ask)? my SIL is going to tanaka clinic (i think) she's due at the end of july...

anyway, it is painful, but it's worth it!!

p.s. i'm teaching a couple days a week in kits-q again; if you're free in the mornings....

liina said...

The video promoting the olympics (and the hideous logo) has caused 12 epilepsy attacks in the first day of its release here in the UK. I'm not joking, by the way :) Apparently when in motion, the logo's not only ugly, but extremely dangerous.

kuri & ping said...

Belinda, LOL...should be an interesting experience, anyway. :) One for the record! I'm definitely not a "natural, pain is good" kind of person so we'll see.

illahee, yes, I'm free in the mornings so drop me an email (on the top page of the blog)...would love to meet up!

liina, I did hear about that (and just checked out your blog about the epilepsy attacks). That's absolutely crazy. Do you think that they'll change the logo (or at least the animated version of it)?

Granny said...

One way or another, the baby will appear.

My only advice, having been there a few times.

Don't let people frighten you with their horror stories. The more relaxed you are (with or without pain relief), the easier it will usually be.

Best wishes - sorry I haven't been around more. I've been reading and lurking lately.

Erin said...

it is an ugly logo...
as for the Social Security, can't you find some change to send them from inside the sofa? (I kid, I kid...)

deenster said...

Ugh, the pension news is giving me a headache. I thought that I would check up on my pension after all the fuss died down to avoid lines, but now that I have been bombarded with news about this every night on TV I am beginning to feel a little nervous about it! Ah, the power of media...

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review