Monday, March 26, 2007

Spring has sprung!

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 3/26/2007
*tap, tap* Hello, people inside the computer. It's been quite a while since we've last sat down for a nice cup of java. Actually, it's been quite a while for me to sit down and enjoy a lovely cup of the caffeinated stuff.

I've been off for the last two weeks and had so many plans. I think it had to do with the change in the weather. What is it about the start of warm weather that makes you want to do things? I was going to be the most productive person on earth, or at least in my little corner of the world. This was my "to do" list:
  • Plan 1: Clean out closets (or any closet). Actual result? I opened the door of the closet and promptly shut it because it made me hyperventilate.
  • Plan 2: Go walking every day. Actual result? I walked for about 3 days and then lost all motivation when I realized that the exhaust from the trucks on my route is kind of a deterrent.
  • Plan 3: Do some unfinished work for my job so I wasn't crazy busy for my last week at the office. Actual result? I opened one file and the amount of work that was looming in front of me made me want to tackle the closets instead (See Plan 1 for the outcome of that little venture).
  • Plan 4-34: I've successfully blocked these from my memory. But it's probably a safe bet to say that they didn't get done.

On the work front: I have four more days left at the office! I can't believe it's down into the single digits. Ping's made me promise to adhere to the following three "rules" this week to make my transition easier:

  1. Not to get tired from working too hard
  2. Not to get annoyed from being at work
  3. Not to work late

I figure that I'll have at least one annoying incident before I can fully be emancipated. Hopefully it won't be bad enough to make me walk out of the office. We'll see...

And, finally, some pregnancy news!

I saw the "birthing room" at the hospital. They have two beds RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER that's separated by a curtain. When I say "right next to each other", I'm talking about the distance between the toilet and sink (in a western style home) or between you and the smelly person next to you on the train if you live in Japan.

If you have enough bad luck to be in there at the same time as someone else, I would assume that it would not be a pretty scene. Of course, we saw it with about 10 other couples and I was the only one who seemed to be shocked by this. Hmmm...Well, I guess I can console myself with the fact that I would rather be me than the person who has to be IN the room with me.

7 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

liina said...

I'm hoping that the room you saw was only for the later stages of labour? In any case, once you're giving birth, you won't really care who's next to you... just as long as the Japanese aren't big screamers. ??

kuri & ping said...

Hi liina, yes, only for the later stages of labor. I feel bad for the person who might be next to me though...from what I've seen on tv documentaries, they're not big screamers. LOL

Midori said...

You would be surprised. When I was in labour, the woman in the room next to me (and these were actually delivery rooms, not the labour/ recovery rooms) was screaming her head off and I know my SIL was too so you just never know! ;-)I was surprised because I had heard that alot of japanese midwives discourage noise during labour but in my clinic, that wasn`t the case at all.

Am glad things are going well with you, I have been wondering how you were doing!

Belinda said...

I was wondering how you were going. I bet you cannot wait to finish up at your job!

Only a curtain between the 2 beds in the delivery area? I soooooo wouldn;t be going there that would freak me out! LOL! I am so glad that the private hospital we used have huge big birthing suites that are totally separate rooms not that close together and they have lounges, spas, TVs etc.

BTW how are things going with the preg in general? Are you feeling well? Are you measuring right on? Do you know the sex of the baby or want to? And also, are u decided on names? How does that work by the way? Will the baby have both Japanese and English names? :)

Danielle said...

I think that, as I write this, you may actually be starting your LAST DAY OF WORK! THat is awesome - congratulations!

As for the delivery room - good luck with that! ;) Obviously the non-mom being ever so ympathetic with your plight. Actually, I am sympathetic - just not sure what words of wisdom to offer on that one. Here's hoping for a QUICK labor and delivery.

jean said...

I screamed more in labour than in delivery. Actually after I had my first child, in a huge fit of yelling and typical Western let-it-all-out grunting, and was relaxing just after the birth, I was surprised to hear a whimper from the other side of the curtain. I had had no idea that anyone was there (she was MUCH quieter than me). She delivered five or ten minutes after me and I actually saw more of the birth than I would have liked as the stainless steel shelves, etc. opposite her reflected everything (like a mirror)... Just something else to think about, Cishii!

Christie D. said...

I was in a similar room, delivering for 2 hours, and another lady was brought in during the last several minutes, and delivered 3 minutes after I did! To be honest, I hardly noticed or cared about the activity on the other side of the curtain, at that stage.

It was quite exciting that our babies were born just 3 minutes apart (at 8:08 am and 8:11 am), and because there was only one baby "bed" in the room, our babies were put in it together, between our two beds. The staff kept joking that it was lucky one was a foreigner, so they didn't get the two babies mixed up. Little Wakayama-kun was crying and crying, and my little baby was looking around quietly. He is 12 now, and we still enjoy telling him about his first minutes, next to little crying Wakayama-kun (who has now also recently finished 6th grade, somewhere...).

That was a busy day for them, as another baby was born that afternoon, but in the next couple of days they had no new babies.

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review