Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Happy birthday to you, you live in a zoo...

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 1/09/2007
...you smell like a monkey and you look like one too.

Ahh, childhood. Such wonderful memories.

Yesterday I turned 30-something, which is a phrase that I've employed throughout this entire decade. We had plans to go out to a fantastic dinner at Chez Luca which is the restaurant where E7 took me the night he proposed. This in no way compares to the place I took him when it was his birthday (Oh, all right. I took him there because I wanted to go. So sue me.), but it's a great restaurant all the same, especially for the memories that are attached to it.

Unfortunately, I was too sick to go. So I ended up spending my birthday on the couch, watching TV all. day. long. and generally being a brat. E7 has the heart of a saint, so he does.

I don't know if I've told you about my decision to finally leave the job that's been the bane of my existence for the past six years. I'll be finishing up in March and the joy I feel just can't be described. It's put the biggest smile on my face and has made me into something beautiful, like Bambi, to which all the woodland creatures flock.

OK, that's going a bit too far but I am so much nicer to the people at my office now that I'm leaving. Who would have thought?

Unfortunately, people are trying to spoil the Zen-like spirit I've achieved by continuing to ask me what I plan to do next year for the program I work on. My repeated replies that, "I won't be here," seem to fall on deaf ears. Huh. Well, with my resignation letter submitted and "approval" received for said resignation (although why I need approval, I can't imagine), they can't say I didn't warn them.

I guess they'll figure it out when I don't show up on April 1st. I'll be unemployed but happily unemployed, if there is such a thing.

11 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

L. said...

Oh, congratulations!!!!

There`s nothing like that "I HAVE JUST QUIT MY HATED JOB" feeling!

Enjoy!!! You`ve earned it!

jean said...

Can COMPLETELY empathize/celebrate with you! I was so where you are just over two years ago. Finances are a bit - um - creaky at the moment, but no regrets whatsoever. Kampai!

jean said...

P.S. I'm almost 39, so it sounds like the gumption to change life direction hit us around the same age. Life is too short and time is too precious to waste it on something's that's not fulfilling you.

deenster said...

Congrats on your decision to move on! Last time I quit a job it felt so great I was worried I would get addicted! :-) Only a few more months and you will be FREE!

medea said...

Happy Birthday. Sorry you were sick though- that sucks!

I'm sure that it's kind of a nice feeling that they don't know what to do without you!

Erin said...

hey! I found your site from "blog her"- I'm trying to find more people who are in intercultural marriages/relationships! I'm American and my husband is Chilean (so it's an anglo/latino mix). I'd love to visit your blog more often!

Andrea said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am 30 something to, blaa, but where do you get all these great templates all the time ?

Granny said...

I remember the day when I decided, almost on the spur of the moment, to opt for early retirement.

I had this enormous feeling of relief to leave something just before I started completely hating it.

Sorry you were yucky for your birthday. Happy Birthday (belated) anyway.

kuri & ping said...

Thanks for all your encouraging words! I am beside myself with excitement that I will be leaving...more excitement than nervousness, that's for sure. :)

BTW, Andrea, I search around for free blog skins. That's why I find all these fun templates. This one is from Zoots Designs (http://www.zootsdesigns.com/)

My Marrakech said...

Happy birthday, dear blogger friend. And remember, you get a birthday check for that fab birthday dinner. And grreeeeat news about quitting the job. Life is far too short to be in a bane-of-my-existence place.

kuri & ping said...

Thanks Maryam! I definitely agree that life is too short. :)

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review