Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Tricky tongue twisters

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 12/06/2006
Late-afternoon at the office...

Co-worker: I went to a get-together the other day and saw your friend, Sasaki.

Me: Oh, was that at your douSEI-kai?

Co-worker: . . .

Me: Whoops, I mean your douSOU-kai.

Nothing like telling your co-worker that you thought she was at a gay and lesbian community gathering, instead of an alumni association meeting.

Yep, it's time to go home.

11 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

My Marrakech said...

I am sure that everone thought it was charming!;-)

Helen said...

A bit like a student of mine once telling me he wanted to meet me in a Pubic place!

umeshu said...

if that's the worst flub you've ever made, consider yourself lucky!

Gina said...

How funny, I hear ya though! I'm forever making slight mistakes in Japanese and end up saying a few whoppers myself! : )

Belinda said...

Oh. Dear.

*giggle*

L. said...

Yeah, that`s like when I got "hotate" and "hotaru" mixed up when I was talking to my mother-in-law, and went on and on about how I wanted to take my kids to the mountains to see "hotate."

Finally, after the look on her face told me I was way, way off, I asked, "....pika-pika mushi...?" and she said, ah!

skyangel said...

Ooooops. ;)

That's OK. I'll never forget the time when I was practicing how to order a meal in Mandarin and ended up ordering "3 eggs and dynamite".

deenster said...

A fellow foreigner who was in one of my Japanese classes during a summer program in Kanazawa had "taihen" and "hentai" mixed up for the first two weeks of the program. Apparently his host mom didn't want to correct him, but after two weeks she felt she had better... He was extremely embarrassed to say the least, poor guy.

I have made more than my fair share of mortifying mistakes in Japanese, and probably many more than I don't know about. I just choose to delete them from my memory. :-)

kuri & ping said...

Oh, I LOVED all the examples of the different flubs! I also have had my share...including one where I told an old man to "sawate kudasai" (touch me) instead of "suwate kudasai" (sit down). Uh, huh.

Andrea said...

hehe nothing like pointing out in big letters - I Am A Gaijin!.
LOL!!
For me it was always the Kawai and Kawaii.
It is great when you tell a mom her kid is scary. yaaa
lol
Merry Christmas you two!!!

My Marrakech said...

What are you guys up to? Please post and tell!!!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review