Monday, November 13, 2006

Haisai!

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 11/13/2006
Haisai! or hello in the Okinawan dialect.

We had the most fanTAbulous time in Okinawa this weekend at the Manza Beach & Resort. Do you know what it's like to take a swim in the ocean in the middle of November? Well, other than those who live in Okinawa. Or the southern hemisphere. Or where global warming is displaying its handiwork.

You might be wondering why we went to Okinawa when we'll be going to NY in a little over a month. E7 was "forced" to fly one additional time on ANA so he could attain "Bronze" status before the end of the year and cast off the label of "peasant," as he so eloquently describes us when we fly coach. As in: "Move along, peasants." "No, your oversized skis will not fit in the overhead bins, peasant." Etcetera, etcetera. The only thing I can be thankful of is that he says all these things in English. Hopefully, the people around us are Japanese at the time.

We pretty much kept to our resort-lifestyle but did get out and enjoy the culture a bit. It was interesting to learn about the history of Okinawa when it was the Ryuukyuu Kingdom before it became part of Japan during the Meiji Period. We ended up visiting Shurijo Castle where E7 was mistaken for a foreigner (horrors!) which I found completely hilarious for the entire weekend, and tried to visit the Churaumi Aquarium but were thwarted in our attempts because the roads were closed for some national bike race.

Ah, but Okinawa...what a beautiful place. Let me know if you're going there soon. I'm on a campaign to lose weight and could totally fit in your carry-on luggage.

9 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Narelle said...

*Love* the new look Chris!!!!

Glad to see that you have been out and about - certainly makes the time go a little faster :)

NB

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Resorts! I am in DC for work and it is rainy and cold...and Okinawa and a resort sounds like just what the doctor ordered!

jean said...

How wonderful - lucky you! Love the new blog look, too.

Helen said...

I'm glad you had fun in Okinawa...Welcome back.

And, I have to say I like the new look too. The last one hid the links and made it hard to read.

Mom said...

Sounds wonderful & looks beautiful!

medea said...

That looks gorgeous. So glad you had a good time! How was the food?

Anonymous said...

E7 a foreigner...that's a riot!! I'd like to know the circumstances: what was E7 doing or saying at the time, and what kind of person would even bring up the question of his nationality?

Oh well, he's a cutie no matter what they say!
Love, YFA

kuri & ping said...

Narelle, travel does make time go faster, although that's not always a good thing (getting closer to my b'day in January!) :)

Maryam, I would love to be in snow right now. It never snows down here so I have to enjoy the white stuff when I'm visiting New York. Hope you're not too buried in work!

Jean, thanks for your comments on the new *look*! We'll see how long this one lasts. I'm so fickle...changing blog skins all the time. :)

Helen, thanks for letting me know! I've had tons of people contacting me about the fact that they couldn't see the links...I wish I had known sooner and could have spared everyone the pain of having to decipher what was written!

Medea, the food was FAB! We had Okinawa soba which has a sort of shoyuu taste. A little light on taste for me (and you probably), especially coming from Kyushu. The fish was amazing though...you don't get fresher than that!

Mom and YFA, yeah a woman at one of the ticket counters thought he was a foreigner. They asked if he wanted an English explanation of the ruins we went to see and he nodded. She then gave us two English versions (one for me and one for him) and he was stunned into silence. Then she started telling him which way to go, but he was still focused on the English pamphlet, that she thought he didn't understand what she was saying in Japanese. I think she thought that he was Japanese-American or Chinese-American and didn't speak Japanese or something. It was pretty funny.

Midori said...

WOW!! I LOVE the new look of your blog!! I am planning a weekend in Okinawa in January so it was good to read about stuff there!! I am sure there will be space in my carry-on if you want to join me! ;-)

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review