Thursday, November 30, 2006

Busybodies Anonymous

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 11/30/2006
The other day, I was walking back from my office to the station when I happened to see a couple that was clearly in the middle of a fight. The guy was on his knees--and if you didn't know any better you would have thought he was proposing. But the look on the girl's face was anything but the face of a girl who was being asked to make such an important decision.

As I walked by, averting my eyes while simultaneously trying to use my peripheral vision to get the dirt on what was happening, I was annoyed because the wind was blowing in the opposite direction and I couldn't hear what they were saying. It was very frustrating...especially for someone who is like me. Someone who can't bear being in the dark and who likes to know everything.

Yes. I am a busybody. There's I've said it. There is no news in the world that I don't know about. And if I don't know? Well, it's just that the news hasn't traveled down the grapevine to reach me yet.

E7 cannot for the life of him understand why I have such a need to know what everyone else is doing. And the only thing I can do is blame it on my genes.

See, I come from a family of professional busybodies. From my mom to my aunt to my sisters, it's one of the many ties that hold the female members of the family together. I can't remember a time in my life when I was able to get off the phone without someone asking me who I had just talked to. Or walked in the door from a night out with friends to have someone ask me what movie I saw, what we had for dinner, who was there. It's how I grew up.

It's not that we busybodies want the information so that we can tell other people. Not at all. It's that we need the information in order to satisfy our curiosity and make sure that we know everything there is to know about something. Once we know something, it's put in the vault and never sees the light of day.

Oooh, gotta go...someone just got off the phone and I must know what they were talking about.

7 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

jean said...

When your family's in the car, and you pass another car, do you all simultaneously turn your head to peer into the car you're passing? That's normal behaviour in my family although I've never noticed other cars doing it - LOL!

I'm sure we could get along very well, Kuri! Are you the oldest by any chance? Just don't ask me for any of my Mom's recipes -- they're SEALED in the vault!

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Dear Busybody-
Hello, it is your Moroccan busybody cyber friend calling. I am suffering terribly to know what was going on with those two. Him on HIS KNEES. I mean, how very intriguing. I was hoping that you might be willing to hang around that spot for just 15 minutes a day just in case those two return. I won't be able to sleep at night until I know eggzactly what he was saying;-) One theory is that she found out he was cheating on her and he is begging forgiveness....

L. said...

On his knees....in a country where people take off their shoes indoors.

His gesture means A LOT!

Mande's J-Life said...

I think any busybody who happens to spend their weekends at a certain coffee shop nearby our house would certainly enjoy hearing the many "conversations" between my husband and me. He has never gotten down on his knees to beg my forgiveness (I can only wish!).

medea said...

You never know, he might have been proposing in the Japanese way. When R proposed I thought he was going to dump me- he was going on about how much we were bad for each other, all his faults, all my faults, and then asked me to marry him. :rolleyes

skyangel said...

Your family is just like mine. EVERYONE needs to know what everyone is doing. My conversations with mom is basically a question and answer session...I'm used to it, though.

And yeah, it's genetic. My sisters have it, but somehow it skipped me.
LOL. (PS: We're also Asian, too ;) )

kuri & ping said...

You guys are so funny!

Jean, I'm not sure if anyone else in my family looks into other cars on the road, but I certainly do. :) I also like to look into windows when I'm on the monorail...it's interesting what some people get up to! Yes, I'm the oldest of 5!

Maryam, LOLOLOL! I'm so glad that you are able to suffer as I was, even though you're in a completely different country. Tee-hee!

L., That's EXACTLY what I thought!

Mande, E7 has never gotten on his knees for me either, not even when he proposed. I always tell him to do "dogeza" (apology on his knees, like you see company presidents do on TV sometimes), but he just finds it funny that I'm asking him to do that.

Medea, True, he might have been proposing but it was right next to the hotel garbage station, so I certainly HOPE they were fighting. :) But you're so funny about how R proposed...it certainly doesn't sound like he was about to propose!

Skyangel, Hi! Thanks for dropping by. :) You're right...it is genetic. LOL

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review