Monday, October 30, 2006

The Man of La Mancha

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 10/30/2006
Every day is an adventure in Japan, with new discoveries popping up when I least expect it.

This weekend, I had my first trip into Don Quixote, a store that I've always thought was an amusement center for a bunch of over-active teenagers.

Sometime my ignorance is staggering.

I feel like I've found nirvana. Don Quixote is like Wal-Mart, Kmart, and Spencer's--all wrapped into one gigantic maze. Five of us walked into the store and promptly got lost...possibly because of the amount of alcohol imbibed earlier in the evening at Xaymaca's in Nishijin.

But wine spritzers and sex on the beach aside, I was beside myself checking out the things they sold. There was something for everyone...food, video games, stuffed animals, clothes (although not things you would probably want to be seen in), shoes, adult items (lovely little maid costumes, masks, whips, chains...), brand-name items and jewelry (although, I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be the woman with the guy who looked like he was buying her engagement ring).

I want to go back now in the light of day (and in a sober state) to really work my way through the aisles. I know that we didn't get to see everything because I do remember being totally sidetracked by the fact that I found Skippy peanut butter at $3 less than its usual price. Three dollars less!

You have to be in the Skippy-deficient land of Japan to truly appreciate what a great find that is.

6 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

jean said...

We don't have it here in Shizuoka, but isn't that the shop that someone (several people?) died in in Tokyo in a fire a few years ago -- they couldn't get out because of all the masses of merchandise?

deenster said...

Ahhhh yes, Don Quixote! I love the selection they have (and the prices!) though sometimes the music/crowds/jam-packed aisles can be overwhleming. I have found a lot of foreign products there (like peanut butter!) for cheaper prices than anywhere else I've seen in Japan!
As much as I love Don Quixote, though, I'm not sure I would want my engagement ring to be from there, either... :-)

Gina said...

I like Don Quixote too! And I'm with you and Deenster, I wouldn't want my engagement ring bought from there either though, lol! : )

kuri & ping said...

jean, you're right! It is that store that burned down...some woman who used to work there or something?

deenster and gina, now, I don't understand why you wouldn't want to have your engagement ring bought there. The prices certainly SEEMED like regular prices (someone was buying a ring for 100,000 yen!)

umeshu said...

How much do you pay for Skippy down there? It's only 386 yen here, so if you got it for $3 less, you got it for like 50 cents. Hmmm...maybe you can ship it up to me?

kuri & ping said...

Skippy usually costs 500 yen and it was 200 yen (well, 250 or something like that). The generic peanut butters (the really sweet ones) cost 350 yen or so but Skippy is few and far between. :)

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review