Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Virtual cash

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 9/13/2006
August played havoc on our wallets, what with birthdays, our trip to Italy, car inspections, and hidden costs that jump out without warning, giving me palpatations. I do so enjoy the arrival of my credit card statements, which when I look at the figure owed, usually leads me to think that someone must have stolen my identity and gone on a shopping spree with my card. That is, until I find the receipts that I have stashed in my apartment.

Because E7 and I are broke until payday, we decided to start cooking dinner at home. This has been quite traumatic since we have a very limited repetoire of meals that we can make. There's only so many times you can have "meatless" meat stew.

Last night, E7 took advantage of the fact that (1) it was raining, (2) he was later than me coming home and (3) he didn't want to wash the dishes yet again, to suggest that we go out to dinner. After putting on a bit of a show hemming and hawing that we should make a go of it for another week, I eagerly reluctantly gave in.

We went to the local Jolly Pasta (isn't that a cute name?) and as we sat down, E7 tells me that dinner is his treat tonight. Hmmm, I thought as I watched him whip out his cell phone, what is he up to now?

Edy points!

This is the newest thing that Japan has in the works. Edy points, which airlines and other companies hand out like candy during campaigns, are like virtual cash that can be used to buy coffee, tickets and pay for dinner using your cell phone.

I love the virtual world. Even when you don't have enough cash, all you have to do is press a button and voila! ANA is there to take care of your bill.

I must remember to send them a thank you note.

6 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Narelle said...

I can remember ordering a bottle of diet coke using my mobile. Not cause I was thirsty and wanted a diet coke just cause I could order it with my mobile. Was a fun experience :)

NB

jean said...

Going out to eat for free -- I like that! (Although even if I had the points, I'm far from being sufficiently cell-phone savvy to know how to access them!) I'm with you on the credit card bill thing. I went CRAZY this summer whipping out the plastic. The bill, part two, should arrive next week, giving me a week or two to pilfer from the kids' accounts and under the sofa, etc., to find the wherewithal to pay it!

kuri & ping said...

Narelle, that's pretty much how I am too. I buy things with Edy just because I can. :)

Jean, I hope that the sofa and your kids' accounts expand enough to let you pay off the card! :)

dongurigal said...

What will Japan think of next. That is amazing.

As for cheap meals at home. Eggs. Not only are they a natural, albeit smelly, aphrodisiac, they fill you up real good.

Off to Nam tomorrow and hope I can access your blog when I'm there. We'll see!!

Anonymous said...

FM! Aunt Patty

kuri & ping said...

Dongurigal, hope your trip goes well!

Aunt Pat, LOL!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review