Monday, September 11, 2006

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 9/11/2006
Over the last five years, we've heard the names of the killers and all about the victims' deaths...Honor them by remembering their lives. ~From the 2996 project

I recently read a book called "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close," where the 10-year-old author tells about how he gets "heavy boots" when he thinks about today. I can't think of anything more appropriate to describe how I feel.

I still am not able to put into words what this day five years ago did to my world, which is why I have to borrow heavily from what other people so eloquently say...

Stop All the Clocks, Cut off the Telephone
W. H. Auden
Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking for that juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East, my West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood;
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

Today at least, I will not talk about or debate the politics of who's right and who's wrong. Not today. Today I will just remember the 2,996 lives that were lost.

For today, at least, I will not be angry.

4 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Narelle said...

I remember hearing that poem in the funeral scene of Four Weddings and a Funeral and it made me cry then and it makes me cry now. Five years on we still remember those who lost their lives just doing what came naturally to them.

NB

Granny said...

I turned off the t.v. today too. Listening to music and going about life as usual.

Still, it's not far from my mind.

Anonymous said...

The world will never be the same again. RIP

bea said...

I was far away from home when it happened, and I'm far away now. Still, it effects me so much and makes me want to gather my family close to me. I am SO lucky to have them all with me, I only wish we could say the same for the families of the 2996.

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review