Wednesday, September 6, 2006

Smile and the world smiles with you

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 9/06/2006
Yesterday, because I was able to escape from work a few minutes before quitting time (shhh!), I made my way to the gym a bit earlier than usual. My gym plan is called "After 5", which, um, obviously means that I am supposed to be there after 5.

I checked my watch and saw that it was 4:55. No problem...or so I thought.

As I checked in, I joked with the guy behind the desk and smirked, "Now, you're sure that you won't get in trouble for letting me in five minutes early?" He actually looked at me--worry lines creasing his forehead--and said, "Well, just this once should be OK." Ah well, the they always say that jokes just don't translate (Don't you ever wonder who "they" are? Where did they come from and how do they know so much?)

I guess I could applaud this employee for his dedication to his job in keeping interlopers like myself from trying to take advantage of The System. Perhaps I should nominate him for Employee of the Month. Maybe I'll just be grateful that he didn't make me wait in the lobby. I could have sworn that I saw that thought cross his mind as he made a cursory glance around the full lobby.

But you know? By the time he actually let me in, it was past 5PM and he was able to let me pass, smiling in relief that I didn't make him bend the rules.

4 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Ed said...

Could you imagine if you would have shown up at 4:50? His forehead would have cracked!

Narelle said...

Talk about walking on the wild side !!! Had to have a bit of a laugh as some people take their roles so seriously !!

NB

L. said...

Sometimes I remember why I don`t miss EVERYTHING about Japan....

bea said...

woa - totally opposite down here! I could invite my family, your family....and probably some random people off the street into my gym and I don't they'd notice!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review