Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Question of the day: What's the relation between a typhoon and a toupee?

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 9/19/2006
This weekend, I posed as Laura Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie for a short period, as I sat in my apartment in candlelight in the middle of a power outage. Alone. During the typhoon. E7 was called into work as part of the city's emergency prep for the coming storm, which is all well and good, but really. What kind of help could E7, who is not trained in search and rescue, provide? Luckily the damage in the city was minimal and E7 wasn't sent out to help anyone, but I figure the fire department would have more of a problem rescuing the "volunteers" from city hall, than they would have doing everything themselves. N'est pas?

He came back from the office a little after midnight, when he proceeded to tell me that he was going bald because of the shape of his head. Please don't ask what that has to do with the typhoon. I'm just relating the facts, ma'am. The word for bald in Japanese is "hage," which for some reason makes Japanese people go into gales of laughter when someone--usually a foreigner--says it. E7's balding tendencies are--according to him--due to the fact that the shape of his head doesn't allow for good circulation at the top of his head, and therefore, he is thinning on top. He likes to tell me that when it gets to the point of no return, that he will take up the "bar code" style favored in Japan (or the comb-over, as it is known in other countries). But don't worry ladies. I'll shave his head during the night before it gets to that stage.

5 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

L. said...

I sometimes call my hub "hage-papa." I`ve got the kids to use it, too.

Hub has a receding hairline but is okay on top. He grew a little beard/goatee, and says he will go for the shaved "Agassi look" as soon as he reaches a certain stage of hair loss.

I can`t wait -- I should just do it in his sleep for him.

jean said...

People here will tell you very earnestly about diarrhea they've been experiencing, but mention the word 'bald' and THAT'S when the great gales of embarassed, hysterical laughter hit! What the heck is up with that anyhow?? Have never heard the shape of the head thing, but I'd give ten to one odds that there was some sort of big TV special on it recently!! The things people swear by just because they saw it on TV...

Narelle said...

LOL Chris!! The conversations you guys get up to are amazing. I like the shape of the head theory. Not sure if I believe it however I will give him 10 out of 10 for effort :)

NB

Belinda said...

I think that it's more to do with heredity and genetics than his head shape somehow. Nice to be in denial though LOL!!!

Too funny!

Jess said...

I think Belinda's right, it's probably more to do with genetics than head shape, but funny nonetheless. :)

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review