Friday, August 18, 2006

And I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll BLOW your house down

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 8/18/2006
So says the big, bad wolf in the Three Little Pigs. And so says the big, bad typhoon that's making its way straight across Kyushu at a phenomenal rate of Seven.Kilometers.Per.Hour. That's slower that I walk, for god's sake.

As you might know, this Saturday, E7 and I are supposed to be off to Italy. And, of course, the gods are consipiring against us yet again with the weather. What is it about our travel plans that seem to put the earth's atmosphere into disarray? This is the third time we've tried to get ourselves to Florence and luck just doesn't seem to be on our side.

E7 said that the reason we were having all this trouble is because Florence is afraid to see the arrival of the next Michaelangelo, by which, I believe, he means himself. Funny though. I've never actually seen E7 sculpt anything in our apartment. Maybe it's one of his hidden talents.

In other news, yesterday, I went with a few friends to see Takarazuka, an all female troupe that's been performing since the 1920s. It was fascinating. It was the first time in Japan that I've seen anyone get a standing ovation and three curtain calls.

The show itself was based on Barry Manilow's Copacabana song ("Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl...") and lasted for about 3 hours, with a 30 minute break in between acts, where everyone in the theatre broke out their bento lunchboxes and sat in their seats to eat. My friends and I were the only ones who didn't come prepared--of course--so we had to do with watching everyone else around us snack on their lovely dinners, with one eye on the stopwatch on the wall that was ticking down the minutes until the second act.

Most of the audience was comprised of women, which I found interesting. These were not your ordinary oh-let's-go-out-on-the-town-and-see-a-show sort of women. They were fans. Kind of like Misery-style fans. Just kidding...or am I?

My friends and I were woefully out of it every step of the way. We clapped at the wrong times, laughed when nothing was funny to the Japanese audience...it was a good thing we were in the cheap seats in the nosebleed section so we didn't embarass our seatmates who would probably have been so mortified that they would've apologized on our behalf.

Typhoons, Takarazuka, and terrorism aside, we will (hopefully) be off to Italy this Saturday, dropping books off here and there, and will be back speaking Italian like pros on the 28th! See you then, ragazzi. Ciao bella!

7 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

L. said...

I hope the weather cooperates!
Have fun!

illahee said...

have a safe trip. typhoon, schmyphoon. it seems to have picked up speed and will hopefully be past us by this evening!!

and keep an eye on your budding michaelangelo ;D

bea said...

crossing my fingers for your travel! hope the weather holds up and you have a super-fabulous time drinking lots of good wine, in amazing scenery in romantically appropriate situations with your man!

Anonymous said...

What did you think japanease people becoming white people?
I think it might be first of the kind COSPLAY..
fan

deenster said...

Hope you're having a fabulous time in Italy!!

Gina said...

Have a wonderful time! : )

Jess said...

How was your trip?? I'm dying to hear about it/see pics!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review