Monday, June 5, 2006

Hooked on phonics

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 6/05/2006
How many times do I have to reinstall Windows until we decide to get a new computer? I spent my entire evening yesterday staring at the monitor, trying to make sense of the squiggles and swirls that were on the screen. Oh, whoops. That's Japanese.

You're probably asking why E7 wasn't doing this since he's the native speaker. That's what I was asking myself as well as I struggled to sound out all the katakana that was running amok across the screen. You have never experienced hell until you've had to sound out words like "rekabari" (recovery) "aninsutouru" (uninstall) and "uirisubasutaa" (virus buster). Add to this the fact that it was 3AM and, well, I can't be held responsible for my actions.

Which was to wake E7 up and tell him in no uncertain words that I Had. Had. E-n-o-u-g-h. I was leaving the rest of the reinstallation up to him because I hated katakata and never wanted to see it again.

Tonight, he flawlessly installed the program that I was sweating over for 2 hours last night. Then he had the gall to ask why I couldn't find the correct program when it was right there on the page in front of me. See? Right there, he says.

Right there? Right there? "Right there" was buried so far beneath a pile of katakana that I didn't have any brain cells left to decipher: "akutibeeshon koudo" (activation code), "supaiuea/gureiuea" (spyware/greyware (what the hell is "greyware?"), and "uirisubasutaaonrainuskyan" (virus buster online scan). While I am glad that so many English words are used in Japanese, my comprehension is based on the premise that I understand what the English words mean in the first place.

I wonder if they have a Japanese version of Hooked on Phonics that I could take?

7 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Narelle said...

Sometimes getting a new computer and spending the time putting all of your stuff back on is so much easier than reinstalling and I have only done that in English NOT a second language !!

Mande's J-Life said...

You should get a Mac. Installation is a breeze, and if and when you do ever upgrade from a Mac to a newer Mac, it will transfer everything over to you new computer automatically, without a lot of tinkering on your part. Plus, you can have the option of using it in Japanese OS or English OS, since it is all included. I love my Mac.

kuri & ping said...

Narelle, that's what I told E7...the next time this happens, we're getting a new computer. He agreed so I can't wait for the computer to break again. :)

MandeJ: I know, I know...All Mac people tell me the same thing. :) I used to use a Mac in college but ever since I left school, it's been MO all the way. Maybe our next computer should be a Mac. Hmm...

Granny said...

Does katakana mean what I think it does?

ichiandzero said...

I thought katakana was Hooked on Phonics.:)
Let me join in the preaching...Mac.

kuri & ping said...

Granny, katakana is one of the writing systems in Japanese. There are three: kanji (which is Chinese characters), hiragana and katakana, which are phonetic (kind of like the alphabet).

ichiandzero, is it hooked on phonics??? Who knows...yes, yes, and yes about the Mac. Am I about to become a convert???

montchan said...

mac, mac and mac again. I am currently pounding away on a Japanese issue mac (god how I hate this keyboard) and I will NEVER go back to a PC. My next mac will definitely be an American standard. I am tired of switching accidentally to kana...
-Misty

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review