Tuesday, June 6, 2006

GOAL!

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 6/06/2006
GOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

That's the world I'll be in in a few days time. Three days until the 2006 World Cup! Aren't you excited? E7 most definitely is...not. It's all I've been talking about for the past few weeks and I think he's starting to get a taste of what life is like for me 10 months out of the year.

So many questions! Will Brazil take it all again? Will Japan's defence get its act together? Will Ronaldinho constantly be on the TV so I can marvel at his fancy footwork?

When E7 watches baseball at home, he tries very hard to get me interested in what's going on. He'll make comments to the room at large (and considering that I'm the only person in the room, I assume that his running commentaries are directed to me) about a batter's form or a pitcher's throw. I feel bad sometimes for my complete lack of interest in the game and I'll sometimes give a grunt of acknowledgement that I've heard.

E7: Did you see that? What the hell kind of pitch is that? It was an easy strike!

Me: ...

E7 (continuing his monologue/dialogue): Why is he running so slow? What is the umpire doing? Did you see that? Did you? Did you?

Me (now realizing that the conversation is indeed directed to me): Ah, yeah. That's not too good. Yeah.

Well, now I understand what it's like to be him--to be so excited about something that your spouse is completely uninterested in. When we watch the clips of the soccer matches on the news, I'll be sitting on the edge of my seat and when I see a great play, I'll turn to E7 and make sure that, yes, he was also witness to said play and will press him for acknowledgement that he appreciates the skill of the players. The only thing that he can be grateful for is that the World Cup only happens every four years.

3 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Jess said...

Chris, Sven is a HUGE soccer fan, so he's going crazy that WC is about to start. He's even saved his vacation time so that he can take half days off, so he can watch our weekday games in real time! I am getting into soccer and even though I don't love it as much as football, it is fun. The best part is the end of the game, when they trade jerseys. ;)

Narelle said...

LOL hey if we see half naked men then perhaps this is the game for me :)

Hey what about Australia?!?!?!? It is the first time in years that we have gotten into the finals and this country is going soccer mad - should be interesting to see how we go :)

NB

Expat Traveler said...

hey I'm so excited about the world cup too! Many of the bloggers in Germany have tickets! Arrggh! Wishing I was in Germany to take pics of this spectacle.

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review