Monday, June 5, 2006

Blinded by love

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 6/05/2006
I'm wearing glasses today. Those of you who have known me since I was...well, born, I guess...know that I can't see 2 inches in front of my face. I demonstrated this to my coworker today because she didn't believe that my eyesight is that bad. Trust me, it is. I have such bad eyesight that they don't even bother to calculate how bad it is.

For example, what do people who have perfect vision have? Bueller? Bueller? Yes, that's correct: 20-20 vision. That means that they see at 20 feet what other people see at 20 feet. See? It's very simple. My vision is "approximated at" 20-800. That means that theoretically, I can basically see to the ends of my eyelashes or if we're getting technical--I can see at 20 feet what other people can see at 800 feet.

When I was about 18, I visited the eye doctor and was asked to read their eye chart. "What's the smallest line you can read?" my thick-glassed eye doctor asked.

I squinted at the bright, white blur at the other end of the room. "E." The doctor laughed because he thought I was joking. I wasn't.

E7--my fellow four-eyes--and I make a great pair. He can see pretty much what I can. Which is nothing. Watching the two of us wander around the apartment searching for our specs can be quite amusing, so I've been told.

Last week, my left eye started to bother me. I normally wear contacts and apparently the contact ended up putting a scratch on my eye. Ewwwww, is what you're saying, but trust me. You wouldn't have a clue unless the eye doctor told you. So what did we do? We dropped by the eye doctor so I could get 3 different drops to put in my eye 6 times a day. Six times a day. It's a wonder I've gotten anything done at work considering that I've pretty much spent the better part of the day in the bathroom trying to follow the doctor's prescribed form of treatment. I wonder if I've followed the instructions wrong?

What this has resulted in is that I've been forced to dig out an old pair of glasses, which are too big for my face. It reminded me of my awkward age in junior high school (remember those days when all you want to do is get rid of any evidence that you looked the way you did?) Oh, and lest we forget: I also had zits, braces and short hair. Basically a recipe for disaster.

E7 notices none of this. He's still wandering around the apartment looking for where he left his glasses last. I guess I should join him. I can't seem to remember where I've put mine either.

5 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Narelle said...

LOL how funny!!! I can just picture the pair of you going around the place looking for your glasses - very funny indeed !!!

kuri & ping said...

Actually, it is pretty funny. I tend to bump into things but E7 just wanders around looking like he's in a daze. LOL

Mom said...

There's always those eyeglass chains to hang around your neck :-)

Granny said...

When I just had reading glasses, I used the chain around the neck.

Now that I am reluctantly dealing with bifocals, there's no point. I take them off to bathe and sleep. It's gotten to where I need my glasses to find my glasses. Depressing for someone who was 20/20 or better for most of her life.

kuri & ping said...

Mom, never, never, never! :) I'll get my contacts welded to my eyes first. LOL

Granny, I'll never have that problem of being depressed about my eyesight getting worse. It's already to the point of no return. :)

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review