Tuesday, May 30, 2006

To do or not to do...that is the question

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 5/30/2006
What have I done today? Have I come up with a new cure for an old disease? Have I single-handedly brought peace to the world? Have I saved anyone's life?

If you answered in the negative, you have now been enrolled in the International Marriage sweepstakes! Leave your name and contact information in the comments section and when I get around to actually setting up the sweepstakes, I'll drop you a line...sometime...um, yeah, when I get around to it.

I am what is commonly known as a "procrastinator". I don't think I've quite hit bottom as described by Wikipedia, but I do have a certain flair for procrastination, as demonstrated by my activities today.

I've been busy putting together two conferences that are happening side-by-side in June and what have I done today? I cleaned my desk. I not only straightened it up and threw out all the unnecessary folders and files, I also wiped it down with the Japanese version of Pledge. This desk, which hasn't seen the sunlight for the past five years, is now shinier than new. It hurts my eyes, actually.

Unfortunately, this isn't what I should be doing...it's helping me pass the time until I can leave and go home. I'm here but nobody's home, if you know what I mean. I hope that this is just a passing phase because I've run out of things to straighten up around here.

I could get started on my apartment, I guess, but so far I've successfully turned a blind eye to the chaos that reigns there. E7, who is currently home bedridden with an ear infection, certainly doesn't see it, which is good and bad. It's good because I don't have to pretend that I am a cleaning goddess (because he really doesn't care), but sometimes I get into a frenzy and start throwing things out left and right, and he just looks at me with this completely confused look on his face.

So I have a few hours left at work...I guess I can get started on the day since there's nothing left to clean up.

BTW, for the person who found my blog looking for "George Plataniotis," please leave a comment! George was my great-grandfather, but there is also an entire section of other people in the family named George so I can definitely share information.

9 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Granny said...

Nothing - just checking in.

Isn't the net great? Someone checking on nothing but a name found you.

Gina said...

Oh my, I'm a procrastinator too! I procrastinate about everything, I even procrastinate getting up in the mornings, hit the snooze button, 3 to 4 times, every single morning. I've even had to roll back the time to allow time for my constant hitting the snooze button.Which I ended up, outsmarting myself, because now I just allow myself even extra snooze time for the extra time I turned the alarm clock back. Sigh. : ) I procrastinate packing to go on trips and even procrastinate unpacking too. Would you believe, I still have one suitcase upstairs still needing to be unpacked! I am so bad, I'm horrible actually.

I clean up the downstairs every morning and try to pick up. But my youngest son destroys everything! He's like a mini tornado! He pull's all the Kleenex outta the box, grabs all the CD's outta the bookshelf. Throws all the books onto the floor. It doesn't bother me so much. But yesterday evening when the doorbell rang and it was my friend, I found myself kicking and hiding, CD's underneath the TV stand! Ha ha ha! What could I do? I was busted! An unannounced visitor! I shudder just thinking about it. Ha ha ha. : )

kuri & ping said...

Granny, yes it is cool that someone found me by only looking up a name. That family (Plataniotis) is one that I actually met up with in Athens after a 70-year long silence between the U.S. family and the Greek side of the family. Very cool. I hope that person comes back so we can get in touch.

Hi Gina! Nice to see you here! I just bookmarked your site as well and hope you keep coming back! :)

L. said...

I was guessing either Greek or Lithuanian.

Gina said...

I'll keep dropping by, I promise! : ) I usually chat over at the FWC, so I think that's why I haven't ran into you all before! :) Nice to meet you btw! Some of the funny stuff you say, really has me in absolute stitches sometimes! Anyway have a good night! : )

Expat Traveler said...

oh... I think we have something in common, always doing other things than what we should be doing.. ;-)

kuri & ping said...

L. Actually the name Plataniotis is a made up name apparently. :) The family came in from an area called Platanos when the Turks invaded Greece (this was the story I heard) so they changed their name. Don't have any idea what the original name was. :) So anyone who is looking for that name is definitely related!

Expat: Must be why we get along so well. :)

deenster said...

Procrastination and I are best friends!! It's an illness that I was born with and I seem unable to shake. I've gotten slightly better over the years, but I still have a lot of room for improvement.

Very cool that someone was searching for your great-grandfather!

Narelle said...

Chris you did something fabulous and important today - you made us all smile !!!

NB

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review