Thursday, May 25, 2006

A light in the dark

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 5/25/2006
I love this time of year. It's not yet rainforest humid nor is it arctic cold. And...it's firefly season!

Yes, firefly season is yet another one of those seasons in Japan, like cherry blossom season or moon-viewing season, that you'll find people in a party-like spirit.

One year, around the time when we first met, E7 called me up to go out on a "date". I had to find out the genre of clothes I needed to wear--dressy, dress down, slobby--so I asked where we were going.

"To see the fireflies," he said.

I laughed, until the silence at the other end of the phone made me realize that he was serious.

Growing up and having to babysit my brothers, I spent my summer childhood evenings watching them catch fireflies in our backyard (not me, that's for sure...you could find me with my head stuck in a book most days). It seemed like such a normal thing for kids to do that I didn't realize all the festivity that was attached to this season in Japan.

We went to a river nearby and, sitting in the darkness with other people wandering around and talking in hushed voices, it was almost like being in a dream. I waited and waited for the fireflies to come out and they did--one by one, until all at once hundreds and hundreds of them started blinking on and off. It was like looking at the world's biggest Christmas tree, but even better because of all the fairy lights flickering on and off.

And every year, I always remember the magic of seeing that for the first time.

3 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Granny said...

We had fireflies at home in central New York (we called them lightning bugs) but not here and I miss them.

Narelle said...

Ahh what a wonderful date - very romantic :)

NB

Cari said...

Fireflies. Meep.

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review