Saturday, May 20, 2006

Invasion of the body snatchers

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 5/20/2006
I went to the gym tonight after a short hiatus (I seem to like this word...I think I've used it at least 10 times in the past week. Unfortunately for my Japanese coworkers, they don't have a clue when I break into my New York-ese.)

I decided to go back slow and rather than take a class led by a hearing impaired, screaming, bleached blond Japanese woman--and no, I'm not making this up--I thought I would start with Pilates. I love Pilates. Anyone who has ever had the misfortune of being in my company for more than five minutes while I rattle on about genealogy and Pilates chance to talk to me knows that I have truly found my calling with Pilates. Not yoga. Oh no, no, no. Don't get them mixed up.

I took a spot near the back, which is my preferred stage in the studios, as sometimes I find that I have inadvertenly started to take part in another class. Arms flying here and there, facing the wall while everyone else is on the floor doing crunches, or continuing to dance on while everyone else is on their way to the showers. I'm kind of like Pollyana on acid during aerobics class. It's truly a sight to behold. Come join me sometime.

My body responds to Pilates so quickly and within 2 minutes of the class, I can see myself standing taller and looking thinner. Wait. Looking thinner. Tonight, I saw the skinny version of myself in the mirror. OK, well, it might have been because I was about 100 feet from the mirror and 1/2 of my body was blocked by the woman in front of me, but I could swear I saw my 16 year old high school self staring back at me. Well, if you disregarded the wrinkles around my eyes (or "fine lines" as I like to call them), the grey stripes in my hair, and the overall "30-something" look to my face.

Hello high school self! I said. No, not really. God, even I don't get that bad when I'm sweating to the oldies in the gym. But it was still surreal to see a glimmer of who I was. Where did that body go? Must have been the body snatchers.

4 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

L. said...

I think the body snatchers came here, too, and took most it --leaving only my calves and booty....

Narelle said...

LOL Chris you crack me up sometimes !!! Those body snatchers must be a universal thing however in my case they left some stuff behind that got sucked into my own body adding to it :)

NB

Expat Traveler said...

Christine you are so funny! I'm cracking up. Oh I've got a funny new post!

dongurigal said...

I still often see my 16 year old self when no one else does. Sometimes I'm so surprised when I buy clothes to find out I'm bigger than I think I am.

Opposite of anorexia, I guess. I think that's a good thing.

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review