Friday, May 26, 2006

The annals of history

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 5/26/2006
I did promise that I would let you know about the treasures my aunt found in the back of the closet in Gramp's house, didn't I? Well, I finally got around to getting those photos off the camera and up to the internet where they belong.

I ended up having to take photo after photo of...photos, which unfortunately didn't come out very clear even though they looked all right in the tiny little window on my deji-kame ("digital camera" in Japanese. Sound it out, rip off the ends of each word and you'll be speaking Japanese in no time.)

So, no really good photos to show you, unless my Aunt Pat--of the "social tea" fame (which is another story for another time)--would make it her summer project to scan every single photo and piece of paper to send to me. Then you and I would be satisfied (no pressure Aunt Patty!)

Anyway, here are some interesting little tidbits I picked up along the way.

This is my great-great grandparent's (my grandmother's grandparents) original marriage certificate from 1872 and my great-great grandfather's naturalization certificate from 1873. Isn't that wild?













(Aunt Pat, I also was able to find out their parents' names in Ireland: James Walsh and Sarah Green (William's parents) and Matthew Drennan and Ann Whelan (Alice's parents)).

This is a baptism certificate for my great-grandmother, Antoinette/Antoine/Antonia Miksan, from the local Czech church.

I can't read a thing but did look up the word "krestni list" which means...well, baptism certificate. Her parents' names were Jana/John Mixana and Katerinyroz/Kattie Dvorakove/Dvorak, both born in Bohemia.

We also found a beautiful photo of my grandmother.

So basically I found out other names to add to my list of names: Pearson (New York, Pennsylvania, England), Tuck (Newfoundland, England), Plataniotis, Nicholau (Greece), Leitner (Iowa, Pennsylvania, Germany), Owens, Walsh, Drennan, Green, Whelan (Ireland), and Miksan, Dvorakove/Dvorak (Bohemia).

There are more photos, but they didn't come out well at all so I'll just have to wait until the summer project starts...*ahem* Aunt Pat.

9 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Jess said...

Great finds, Chris! :) How awesome that you were able to find out so much about your family.

Incidentally, I have a friend who is from Slovakia and speaks Czech. I'll see if she can translate any of the other words on the baptismal certificate and let you know!

Mande's J-Life said...

I also have a friend from Slovakia who can help you out. This is such a find!

Anonymous said...

We recently purchased a photo scanner...imagine that! Now I just have to learn how to use it. Ahhhh...summertime projects, here I come!
Love, Aunt Patty

Granny said...

I've put a few old ones on granny. I love the old photos and she is lovely.

umeshu said...

That is so cool! How amazing to find all that stuff!

medea said...

Oooh, that's so thrilling. The archivist in me is totally having the big "O" right now! sorry, tmi. What fabulous finds. Looks like they are being kept very well, I'm glad!

kuri & ping said...

Thanks for all your comments, and the fact that you know people who speak Czech! That is totally great. :) We also found my great-grandmother's autograph book that has some entries in Czech too. :) Aunt Pats, time to get on the scanner darling! :)

ichiandzero said...

that is really cool.
Have you considered a mobile scanner?

kuri & ping said...

ichiandzero, I forgot to bring my cell with me so I couldn't take the photos. *sigh*

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review