Friday, April 7, 2006

Talented in our own ways

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 4/07/2006
One of my favorite bloggers, Chookooloonks, asked this question a few weeks ago:

What's something about you that most people don't know about?

I think I posted that I used to run the 100m in 12.something seconds, that I was chosen as a finalist in a U.S. national Japanese speech contest and that I wanted to be an astronaut. But I forgot to mention a particular talent of mine that many people don't know about.

As an update to the Schoolhouse Rock post, my grandmother taught me a way to remember all the prepositions in the English language (or at least those that were around when I was in junior high. Have they added any since then?)

She put it to the tune of "Pop Goes the Weasel," and even now when I hear that song, I only remember the preposition song. Does Pop Goes the Weasel have any other lyrics?

About, above, across, after, against, among, arouuuuuund
At, before, beside, between, BY!, dooooownn, durrrrrinnngggg
Except. For. From. In. Into. Near. Of. Off.
On, over, throuuuuuugh, to, towards, under, Up! With.

Disclaimer: The strange punctuation is in keeping with the tune of Pop Goes the Weasel and is not indicative of my English language level.

What's your special talent that people may not know of?

6 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Mande's J-Life said...

Just catching up on your blog today. I should be working busily like a bee, but just needed a break.

Your talent for prepositions is quite interesting. I would like to hear you sing it some time.

My talent is that I seem to remember every detail of everything. Also, I am really good at packing, which I found out last week when I was helping my friend who is preparing her family to move to the USA. I thought these things were a given, but they are not. My girl scouts experience really does come in handy.

kuri & ping said...

MandeJ: I'm getting my vocal cords warmed up for when I see you next. Remind me and I'll treat you to a few stanzas of the preposition song. :)

Oh packing...I'm excellent at that. Must be the number of times I have had to pack things. I once watched my brother pack when he was leaving Japan and my hands itched to repack all his stuff. But I waited patiently and then offered to help him. There wasn't an empty space left when I got through with his bags.

Must be the genes from my Renaissance Dad. :)

Jess said...

Wow, Chris, I thought I was the only person who could name the prepositions in alphabetical order! I learned them for a contest in elementary school (albeit without a snazzy song) and I still have it in my head. ;) I can also say all of the states in alphabetical order (thanks to a song called "50 Nifty United States"--boy that sure impressed my Slovakian coworker).

Anonymous said...

Ante, apud, circum, contra, inter, per, post, and prope govern the accusative case, POP goes the weasel!
Love, Aunt Patty

kuri & ping said...

Oh Jess, you should teach me the song! I'd love to add it to my repetoire. :)

Aunt Pats...gotta show off, don't you? :) She's a teacher, so this kind of stuff should come naturally! Did Grandma teach you that too? :)

Andrea said...

staying awake after the baby has kept you up all night. ugh

I am really good at pulling horse manes and an excellent mare braider.

I used to be a kick ass owsome grass hockey goaly.

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review